Driftmaster rod holder rack question?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by smhmc6, Apr 2, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been wanting to put a rod holder rack over the transom of my boat for a while. Today while I was at the Home Depot I was walking by the plumbing area. I found some things that might work pretty well. I was thinking about using 1/2" galvanized steel pipe with a flush mount looking thing and 90 degree elbows. My question is will the driftmaster rail mounts fit that size pipe? I don't know much about pipe, but I'm pretty sure when they say 1/2" it is inside diameter... anybody know what outside diameters would be? Also, does anyone use the rail mount bases... are they sturdy enough? I think I could make this work and look pretty good, as long as a few details like these work out. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I think they are made for 3/4 or 7/8 pipe.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, After posting I realized that there were a few things in the library about it. I went with the 3/4" pipe and I'll pick up some 1" rail mounts tomorrow.

I do have one more question though, does anybody use the driftmaster rod holders in combination with a tiger casting rod? The handle on those things are huge and they are a snug fit on my other rod holders and they won't fit at all in the bank rod holders I have. Do they fit okay in the drift masters? Thanks again.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm going to use the 1/2" galvanized pipe for vertical supports on mine.. the outside diameter is actually just a hair over 3/4" on these. But instead of using a pipe for the top bar, I've got a piece of aluminum that is 72" long, 2" wide, and .5" thick. I'll cut 7/8" holes for the pipe supports on each end of the aluminum, and hold it on to the bars with a nut on the bottom and a pipe cap on the top. This way I have a flat bar parallel to the boat to work with and don't have to use the rail mounts. The aluminum bar cost me $60 with shipping, but I'll save about $40 on Driftmaster bases by just drilling/threading my own 3/8" mounting holes on the bar itself.

As far as the Tiger rods fitting.. I've got a couple of the 3/8" Duo's, and you just about have to force the rod handle in. It can be done, but good luck getting it out if you get a fish on. The other Driftmaster models are more open, and shouldn't be a problem, and the 1/2" Duo's have a muck bigger opening for the rod handle.

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the help. And that set up sounds pretty good too. I have my rack on the boat ready to go and its pretty sturdy. I went with 3/4" pipe all around. Two flat bases that the pipe screw right into and two 90 degree elbows. Went on pretty easy, the hardest part was getting my fat fingers to get the nuts on the bolts underneath those corner flanges that brace the top of the transom to the walls (not sure what their official name is). It was only about $25 for the rack itself, the bases and rod holders will be the expensive part. But I've heard so much about they are the way to go. I'm hoping that the rail mounts will be strong enough, surely they would be. One advantage of them is if I don't like the angle they are at I could adjust them on the fly. Anyway, I can't find anyone who sells drifmasters around here but I'm going up to KC tomorrow to hit up the Kaw and I'll just pick some up from BPS or Cabelas... hopefully they have them.

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Regarding the question about Driftmaster rodholders and Tiger casting rods...

I have found that they are very snug when trying to get the handles into the rodholder( I use 3/8" rodholders also). They will fit, but can be irritating at times. I ordered some different rod holders and they came in yesterday( also 3/8"). The opening for the butt-end of the rod looks to be a little larger than the current rodholders that I have. I will open one up and test it out and let you know. The new holders that I got are the 45 degree angle type.

Ryan

8. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Just FYI,

I checked the new rodholders, and my MH tiger rods slide through the rodholders nicely.

There must be a difference in the width of the base section of the rodholders between the 15degree angle holders and the 45degree holders. The 15 degree holders do not allow easy movement when taking the tiger rod out of the rodholder. However, the 45 degree angle holders work wonderfully. If you are using a MH Tiger rod, I would go with the 45 degree ones.

Ryan

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Any of the driftmaster pro (1/2") series should be fine with the thickest of handles. My Pro Duo's and 25 degree Pro Flatliner holders both have plenty of room for large handle rods. When I spoke with Dave at Driftmaster to order mine, he told me the Pro series holders were designed for the thicker handles on the larger rods.:big_smile:
    I would suggest going with the Pro (1/2") series in any of the Driftmaster holders you decide to use. Just my personal opinion.
    You can order your Driftmaster holders from Steve at Catfish Safari. He is one of the many fine BOC sponsors.:big_smile::0a26:

Thanks
    David

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I actually went with the 3/8" lil' pro in the 25 degree angle (i think). It was pretty much all that bass pro had at the time and they were closing and I wanted to have it for the next morning of fishing. I could have gone with the 1/2" ones, but I decided I wouldn't need the extra 1/8" of strength... the only reason I would buy the stronger ones would be if the opening was bigger and it didn't look that way in the package. The lil' pro's did just fine though. They were a little snug but I found that if you get the skinnier threaded part for tightening the reel on in the front part of the rod holder it makes it much easier to take the rod out.

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    You only need about a 1/2" of the butt of the rod in the bottom of the holder(even if they fit snugly). You'll find it harder to get the rod out with a big fish on having the rod buried so far down in the holder.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I use the 3/8 holders (45 deg) with Tiger rods with no issues. There isn't the freswater fish swimming that will snap 3/8 stainless roundstock with a good weld. 1/2 holders are great, but I'd lay even money the same guy welding the holder to the shaft on the 3/8 holders is the same guy welding the 1/2 models:smile2:

A lot depends on how they're anchored. If you're halfway paying attention there should be give in your rod and give in your drag. Can't guarantee give in the line if you're using braid. If you use short, crappy screws in the bases holding the holder to the boat it really doesn't matter what you're using for rod holders.

Sorry to come off as a wise-a$$, but I'm really starting to find the escalation in gear kind of funny. You'd think we were after 12' great whites instead of MAYBE 5' cats:smile2:

13. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Very true, I had the plastic Roberts rod holders on my old boat and got along just fine. (well I ran into a tree and broke one) I all ways said the Rod should absorb enough force to keep you from tearing a rod holder off, especially if you have your drag set correctly. Of course now I have been reading enough to know that my rod holders were junk, my line wasn't heavy enough, my rods weren't custom made ect, ect,ect. Four years and $10,000 latter I am all set to catch a big fish. Wait a Min. I was catching big fish them.
    :eek:oooh::tounge_out:

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I ordered some driftmaster wannabees off of ebay. Besides being a little bit cheaper, the design has no welds, just one continuous piece of 3/8" steel rod bent into shape. I can't brag them up too much yet, they are new and may turn into a pile of dust or something, but I have a lot of confidence that they will be plenty strong.

15. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I am thinking about doing something similair but I am going to run the galvanized out of the gunnel holder and flange to a plate. That way I can have a flat surface to use the surface mount holders or drill out and use gunnel type.
    Good luck and send me pictures-I am starting on mine next week.
    LB