Driftmaster Rigs

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Rookie12, May 21, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Here is an idea for those of you that like to fish off the back of your boats. I made some holders for drift master rod holders out of a piece of 1"x2" piece of aluminum bar stock. Cut them about 2 inches long, drill a hole in the center and tap to whatever thread your rod holders are and then drill two smaller holes in the sides to mount it with. A lot cheaper than buying them. I got a 12' stick of aluminum for 36 bucks. I made a bunch of rod holders with 'em. OK, for the rig I was writing about. I installed two of the holders mentioned above on either side of the gunnels at the back of my boat. Then I got a piece of aluminum bar stock and drilled 2 holes at the ends of it that a 3/8" bolt would go through. I used a stack of washers about 3" high to get the bar off the deck of the boat. Bolt the bar to the holders using the washers to hold it up off the deck. Then I drilled six holes in it an tapped them to accept my rod holders. I now got a bar that I can put six rods in and fish off the back of the boat comfortably. I'm working on making a couple extensions for the bar off the back. I'm going to make about a 2' piece that I can bolt into my outside rod holder holes and angle them toward the front of the boat a little bit. This way I can put two more rod holders on either side of the boat and fish a wider swath of water. It is a lot sturdier than one made of wood and the fact that you can tap the bar itself to screw your holders into works great. I got two 45 degree holders in the middle and two 25 degree holders in the intermediate holes and then two flat holders out the sides. This helps keep your lines apart from each other and it looks cool when you get all the rods in it. You are gonna' look like you know what you're doing anyway.

Here are some pictures to show what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]