Driftmaster rig

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Rookie12, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Here is an idea fo those of you that like to fish off the back of your boats. I made ome holders for drift master rod holers out of a piece of 1"x2" piece of aluminum bar stock. Cut them about 2 inches long, drill hole in center and tap to whatever thread your rod holders are an the drill two smaller holes in the sides to mount with. A lot cheaper than buying them. I got a 12' stick of aluminum for 36 bucks. I made a bunch of rod holders with 'em. OK, for the rig I was writing about. I installed two of the holders mentioned above on either side of the gunnels at the back of my boat. Then I got a piece of aluminum bar stock and drilled 2 holes at the ends of it that a 3/8" bolt would go through. I used a stack of washers about 3" high to get the bar off the deck of the boat. Bolt the bar to the holders using the washers to hold it up off the deck. Then I drilled six holes in it an tapped them to accept my rod holders. I now got a bar that I can put six rods in fish off the back of the boat comfortably. I'm working on making a couple extensions for the bar off the back. I'm going to make about a 2' piece that I can bolt into my outside rod holder holes and angle them toward the front of the boat a little bit. This way I can put two more rod holders on either side of the boat and fish a wider swath of water. I will post pics. later for anyone who is interested and can point anybody in the right direction who wants to make one. It is a lot sturdier than one made of wood and the fact that you can tap the bar itself to screw your holders in to works great. I got two 45 degree holders in the middle and two 25 degree holders in the intermediate holes and then two flat holders out the sides. This helps keep you rlines apart from each other and it looks cool when you get all the rods. You are gonna' look like you know what you're doing anyway. just thought I would share it with ya'. see ya

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a neet idea, are you gonna post some pictures?

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey, a great idea. I will be doing that and will look for your pictures.
    Thanks
    Bill

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris that is a neat idea and cost saving. Please post several pics for us slow learners. Thanks for sharing.:lol: :big_smile:

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Chris, post some pics and I'll get it in the library. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Post some pictures, I think I could use a rig like that on my SeaArk which already has 14 driftmaster bases welded on, 7 on each side but none where I can fish streight off the back of the boat.

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yes, I will post some pics. I've had digital camera woes, and that has set me back. My camera puked on me last week, but when I get it straightened out, I'll put up some pictures. It is relaly coast saving and makes a great bar for trolling too. I also hoave rod holders off the side of my boat for when I drift. I don't have enough drift masters yet to fill up all my bases so I jus switck rod holders around according to how I fish that day. I got seven bases off the side and I got six holes in my "trolling bar". If I get time tomorrow at work I'm going to make my extensions for the sides which will give me eight total rod holders off th back, with 4 of them turned out to the side so Ic an fish striaght of the side as well as get better bait position off the corners of the boat. I should have bought stock in driftmasters. Lord knows I've given them enough money! I'll post pics as soon as I get my camera problem straightened out. see ya

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Chris, when you get them, shoot me a PM when it's done. I don't want to forget about this. Thanks.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I won't let ya' forget! I made the extensions for the bar and I th ink they will work good. We'll see next weekend on the Congaree, or as I like to call it with a few cold ones in me, "the kangaroo river". Either way, it's fun. I can't wait!

10. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Rookie12, We are still waiting on some Pictures.:smile2:

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    sorry it took so long, but wihtout a digital camera and my computer decided to have it's own problems, it took me a while to get the pics up. anyway, here they are. I you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be checking this thread daily.

Attached Files:

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    here's some more pics. I thought I would include a few of the rig in action as well. enjoy

Attached Files:

13. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Looks loke you got 'em surrounded. I like that rig. Mighty good idea.

Cheez