DRIFTMAST RIGHT THREAD/LEFT THREAD?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by team salmon, Apr 12, 2009.

1. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I wanted to know for drift fishing if anyone has had problems with the driftmasters loosing if the tension pulls at the rod the direction of the threads? On the web site they say for trolling you should have left thread on the left of the boat and right on the right. I'm NOT going to be trolling Also I've heard that the bases are all aluminum and the only problem with them is occationaly one will have the threads stripped - I'm guessing part of that maybe someone not knowing they are reverse threads! My kids and their friends will be fishing on the pontoon with these rod holders and I'm wondering if the two diffrent thread styles aren't just asking for troubles. Does anyone have input on if the 2 thread types are really necessary for what my fishing style is. Also it's not like I'm gonna drift real fast even in a steady breeze with a 24 ft pontoon. Thanks for any help!!

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    in my opinion for your style they are not needed, I have two right handed threads on one of my boats. If I had to say I would agree with driftmasters pacement and different threads, while trolling they will not loosen if configured properly. Good luck.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Consider using glue. Glue can always be loosened with heat.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I only have the right hand models, but tighten them as tight as I can. I've had them turn on me just a few times, but only from a really hard hit from big Blue Catfish. Normally it isn't a problem, though. If you're buying them new anyway, I'd recommend going with the left hand thread.

5. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Got them all ordered this a.m. - thanks for the help guys!!! All right thread I think it will save me some trouble later down the road! :wink: