Drifting

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by joer, Oct 23, 2008.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    can anyone help me out? i am purchasing a trolling motor to troll on the rivers....how much thrust do i need? i have a 17.5ft aluminum boat. i plan on trolling into the current.

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    unlike lake where using a trolling moter to get around and keeping you in line when a stiff wind is blowing rivers bring a whole new set of problems currents eddies, and back washes. I would go with the most pound trust i can afford. also the shaft length is as inportant as the trust, if you go on line to cabelas or even bass pro they have a guide on the size and shaft length you will need for your boat, I have a 50lb thrust bow mount on my lowe roughneck 1860 I fish lakes mostly and have not had any problems except when there high winds and even then i can get keep my drift on track. Another thing is the voltage you want they have anything to 12 volts to now even 36 volts motors, i run a 12 volt motor my boat has 3 battries in it one for crank, one for trolling and a back up that can be swiched either for crank or trolling, an on board bank charger is a must it makes keeping and maintaining batteries much easer and the cost of these chargers are cheaper than gettin new battries ever few years. The price diffrence in thurst lbs is minor but the diffrence in proformance is much greater that few extra lbs may make the differance form getting hung up in a current or getting out the way of something much bigger than you.

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    jeff thanks for the info! the on-board charger is a great idea. i currently run two batteries but may install a third with the trolling motor. is a switch hard to install in order to switch from one battery to the other?

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Fishing the heavy current of some or the Missouri rivers would need a minimum 12 volt 55 pound thrust trolling motor. I would rather see a 24 volt 70 pound motor on the boat if it were me. I have had a number of trolling motors and have never had too much power. Of course if you are not dealing with extreme current then the smaller motor would be the most economical choice. As for shaft length I would think a 48" would be sufficient for your boat. Might even be a bit long but you can always adjust up. If the motor shaft is too short you can't stretch it down.

5. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    thanks john! i appreciate all the info. too much is never enough.