Drifting

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mi11er, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I have never employed this technique and was wondering if anyone could explain what goes it to it. To me it sounds like spiderrigging in crappie fishing but I didn't know. I want to give it a try

Thanks

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Drifting works great, but is not compatible with all conditions. It has been my experience that it works best on large bodies of water such as lakes or major river systems. If you are fishing a smaller river with isolated holes, then it will not be an effective technique for you.

The concept is simple, the execution is not. The idea is to present your bait to as many fish as possible (typically in an area that does not provide clearly isolated holes). Arrange your baits at varying depths and then drift/troll thru that area at a slow speed (normally less than 1MPH). As you move you are making contact with active fish/plus your bait is leaving a scent trail for active fish to follow.

As far as rigs/setups there are too many variations to list in one thread. I would recommend a visit to the library for one of the many articles on this subject.

Good luck fishing.

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thanks for the info. It sounds like something that could be a change of pace technique

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sent you a PM Jess.