Drifting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by andrew492, Jan 15, 2008.

1. andrew492

andrew492 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Im new at this drifting thing what is the best speed to drift at?

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    steve brown at catfishsafari .com taught me how to drift fish and with his gps 1/2 mile an hour is what he likes i would guese this to be a real slow walk. we use a big drift sock to slow us down from the wind its about the size of a kitchen table when open 6 ft circle or so if you need a drift sock his tackle shop number is 660-438-3135.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i just started drifting this fall, we got all of out bites between .4 and .8 mph any slower and we couldnt get a good consistant line, and faster and just stopped biting.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am new to drifting myslef, I was fortunate enough to get out with another member who showed me the basics..I am really excited about trying it on the big river

5. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    .3 to .4 in the winter but you can go a little faster in the warmer months when the fish are more aggressive.:wink:

6. andrew492

andrew492 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thqnks for the advice

7. andrew492

andrew492 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    what would the best depth be for drifting or does it matter

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'm new to drifting aswell still have no clue as to how fast your supposed to go. I would deffinantly talk to catfishsafari (Steve Brown) He's a BOC sponsor. Knows alot about drifting for cats.

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im with tbull i can't wait to learn how to drift on the big river.

10. andrew492

andrew492 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks buddy ill have to check him out

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how do you control your speed when drifting on the rivers?? just seems like the current is moving faster than that on most rivers i have fished..

12. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    lake drifting and river drifting are totally different. when im drifting a river in current i want to drift the same speed as the current . i use enough wieght (sinker) to keep my line straight down not dragging its more like bottom bouncing i have my sinker on the bottom then come up around a foot make a foot or so leader looks like a 3 way rig. i get the boat settled in the current may have to reverse a tad before shuting the boat off so your not out running the flow of the current then i let my line down when it hits bottom i stop and threw out the drift i try to keep the sinker just off bottom if i feel the tap tap of the sinker dragging i reel in a little line as i go along i lower my rod tip to make sure im close to bottom if im not a let out until i feel it again. i usually have 4 to 8 ounce sinker on depending how strong the current is to make sure my line is straight down if it drags wont be long until your hung up.

13. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks scott thats some great info.

14. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I've yet to try drifting the river yet. But when I get around to it, I plan on having the trolling motor in the water. Using it to navigate the channels the best I can, and slowing my drift. :big_smile: But then again, what do I know. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I fish the Tn river and drift fish. I do better if I control the drift. I use the trolling motor to slow the boat down. When fishing this way your bait will be behind the boat.
    AS the current will take it back at an angle. I try to slow the boat enough to let me feel bottom. AS in I feel the sinker hit bottom. And pump the rod and let it settle back to bottom again. Also using a three way rig. Sinker on bottom.
    After you get in control of the boat. You will catch more and bigger fish. AS they fish are hitting the bait harder and have longer to take the bait.

Just think, If your drifting along with the current. Your bait is passing so many fish, That don't get a chance at your bait. But slow the speed down and catch more fish.
    Also say theres 3 or 4 holes below you and you try to drift through them. Now if your letting your boat go with the flow of current. Well its hard to hit them all.
    But by using the trolling motor and slowing the boat down. You can pull the boat over some and hit each and every hole.
    Theres so many times that my wife and I will be fishing and others are not catching fish. And they only ask about the bait we are using. And don't even think about the other things other then bait.
    Can't tell you the times we have people drift by us wide open and they can't figure out why we can catch 10+ fish per drift. And they are lucky to catch one.
    So good luck and if you will try this it works. But don't expect to get the hang of it the first trip.
    On speed if the current is say 3 MPH I will slow the boat down to 1 or 1.3 MPH by my GPS. That allows my bait to be way behind the boat. My line is at about 45 degrees with the boat. This allows me to control the boat and bait. I feel everything the sinker comes in contact with. Be it a rock, Gravel, Sand or mussel shell bed. You can (With a Good Graphite rod) Feel everything there. Also the hits not bites are killer. The fish try to kill it when you slow that bait down.
    Pete

PS I have a Minn-Kota Power drive Trolling motor with Auto pilot that way I set the course on it and let it do most of the work. It does a great job.But A hand controlled allows better control.

16. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    if u find a good hole with alot of feeding fish another fun thing to do is anchor above the fish and walk your bait to them . carolina rig with 1/2-3 ounce of sinker use just enough sinker to get the bait to bottom then lift your pole and let the current pull line out until it hits bottom again wait a few seconds and repeat this ,u can cover alot of distance behind the boat doing this i use baitcaster reels freespooling i use my thumb to stop the line then let the current pull some line off again when i feel a bite i let him have it a little point my rod towards the fish hold my thumb tight on the spool then set the hook and reel him in.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes that is also a great way to fish. And I fish that way a lot of times. Also if you get where you can fish that way. Then the controlled drift fishing is the same.But the boat is moving also.
    Plus you hit it on the head. Let them get turned with the bait. And every fish will be hooked.
    Pete

18. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    .3 to .5 is a great speed for lake drifting. But how deep depends on the seasonal patterns. Winter differs from spring and summer. In the winter as the thermocline goes away bait and cats can be deep as in a channel, lets say 30 to 40ft or more. Those cats will go shallow as spring and summer comes.

Let the seasonal patterns of Catfish determine were to look.:wink:

19. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    between .4 &.8 mpg on gps works best for me :big_smile:

20. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    what water temp do you start drifting in and what temp do you guit drifting.