Drifting

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by grillking, Sep 14, 2007.

1. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    :0a23:when you drift fish, how do you rig your line? do you use a three way swivel with weight on the bottom? any input is greatly appreciated and thank you:big_smile:

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i use a carilina rig just as i do when fishing on the bottom it works just as good for me as the three way does i have a hard time keeping my line from getting together when i fish 3 way rig

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    It kind of depends on how motivated I am to tie all of those knots on a 3-way swivle. I have often times done good using just a bare hook or a 1-ounce bell with circle hook. I would recomend the 3-way if you are up for tieing 5 knots every time you get hung up.
    :wink:

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use a Carolina rig but I use a sinker slide on my line instead of the line through the sinker and for drifting I just use a short leader from the slide to the sinker with lighter line then the main line in case of hang ups. I also use 3/8oz to 1/2oz drift sinkers which helps to keep me from hanging up so much.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Ryan.I Drift for channel cats Alot and I have tried several set ups but this is My Favorite. Attach a Standard swivel #3 to your main line and then make a leader 12 inches long and I prefer to use a kahlie hook a 4/0,tie it on one end of your piece of leader I like to use a polimer knot as it is quick to tie especially at night in the boat and then attach the other end to the open end of your swivel.Now just above your swivel on your main line put a #1 shot the pinch on type,and your set to go. I have had My best luck with cut bait either bluegill filets.or heads.hook the heads through the eyes.Shad filets or cut shad work great if you can get some in a cast net.I would highly recommend that You invest in a cast net and learn how to throw it as it will pay you many dividends by not having to buy bait!!!! I Hope this Helps.I Know I have Knocked Um dead with this set up. Now two Super lakes to catch some nice 10/12 pound channels are Mazingo lake just east 4 miles of Marysville Mo. approximately 100 miles from Omaha.and Green valley lake north of creston Ia 4 1/2 North. 105 Miles From Omaha.Both Super lakes and Easy to Drift. Good Luck,Now Go Knock Um Dead OK. J.D.
    :0a26::0a18::0a22::byebye:

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The three way swivel works, but most people use a modified Carolina rig with a 1 1/2" slip cork on the leader and a flexible weight instead of an egg sinker.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    When I drift fish I use a slip float rig.

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Would someone PLEASE tell me what a "sinker slide" is!!

9. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I use a carolina rig with a slip cork. I am going to try using a 3 way swivel next time out and see how that works.

10. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you peg your slip cork or let it free line?

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Would someone PLEASE tell me what a "sinker slide" is!!..."

It is a tiny plastic tube with a snap attached. You run the line through the tube and attach the sinker to the snap. It allows the line to freely pass through the tube just as it would through an egg sinker.

Saltwater surh fishermen use them for the big pyramid sinkers. I use them for catfish since it makes a good way to attach bank sinkers and it allows you to go from a bottom rig to a drift rig without having to re-tie all your rigs.

You can usually find them on E-Bay for about $0.10-$0.20 a piece in quantities of 100

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thank you Tommy and Dieter! I just hate the idea that there is any fishin gizmo I aint got.

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
  15. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I always peg my cork when using carolina rig about 3" off the hook