Drifting

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by allflats, Aug 9, 2007.

1. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was reading in another thread that drifting was a good way of catcting cats.Does this work for flats too?Never tried drifting may have to give it a try.Is it best in day or night drifting?:0a28:

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Drifting is a method used mainly for blues and channels. I have heard of flatheads being caught this way but, I personally have yet to do so.

3. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ty JW,Flatheads are what i fish for most but i may still have to try drifting.Sounds like fun way to get fish on.:0a23:

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I started drifting about 2 yrs ago and I havent caught a flattie doing it but have heard of them being caught just not often. I would say its prob because drifting with big live bait could make a mess of your line and float or it may be because its so hard to drift through alot of thick cover that flatties like since the sinker is always in contact with the bottom. I really like it though you can cover alot more water and find active fish alot easier than anchoring and waiting on them. it does take a few jerks with nothing biting to figure out a bite or if it is the bottom, but once you catch the first fish it will be easy to tell the diff.

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    just started drifting this year an starting to like it if we had some curent to drift in cover a lot of water this wayas for me i use a caroline rig some like a 3 way rig on theres i drop mine right off the back of the boat to the bottem an then reel it up about 3 to 4 turns an watch the finder to see if the river is going up or down have cought a few fish like this cought 1 at 31 an a few in the 20s its a blast watch them rods or you will lose one

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never caught a flathead on a bait that was drifting downstream with the current, but I've caught some on my jugs after they got hung up on bottom.

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Bro., I drift 95% of the time as do a lot of catfishermen in NC & SC and have caught some nice flatheads doing this. In using this technique for fishing I have caught my PB 48.5# and others fishing in my boat have caught a 48.9# and three others have caught flats in the fifthy pound range, plus I don't known how many in the 5 to 30+ range.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i catch a few flats below the dam at russelville arkansas drifting with a 2 ounce jig and live or fresh shad.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    See, It can be done, LOL!!!

10. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do most of you drift during day or night?

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I know that LNB drifts strictly during the day. I don't know about the rest of the guys.

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have caught flatheads while drifting several times in several different spots. I drift day or night when conditions suit me or when I just can't do well anchoring. I can't recall ever landing a flathead drifting at night yet. The biggest flathead I have caught drift fishing has been in the 10 pound range. Vern

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    mainly during the day for me its just to hard to see where you are going at night.

14. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Drifting for flats works at Santee in SC and Norman in NC. I haven't done it anywhere else. For me it seems that strikes come during turns that cause the drift rigs on the inside of the turn to stop for a few moments.

Drifting or pulling bottom rigs with a trolling motor works...try it.