Drifting

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cut bait, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Ive read several post about people woundering if you can catch big cats drifting which is a real good ?????.
    I very seldom catch any bigger fish than 25lbs when drifting on the bottom(BUT STEVE BROWN DOSE IT) but my theory is that most of the places i drift are not real close to the channels on Truman because I always get hung up. And I feel the big cats hang close to the channels edges or in it. Where as you can put jugs over those spots and catch those bigger fish. I'm trying the slip balloon float rig over those spots while drifting with great success on 9-1-06 I landed my biggest fish of the year at 54lbs I will say you don't catch as many fish but you do catch bigger fish.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Last I heard, Steve hasn't caught anything to brag about all summer - somewhere around 20 lbs is the biggest I've heard of.

Certainly there are plenty of big blues in Truman lake. And they're feeding on the shad. Somewhere.

3. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I haven't talked to STEVE in awhile but he is a good example of catching big cats drifting.
    Mr.T are their allot of shad where you've been fishing because I'm not seeing the shad like I have in years past? That mite be why Ive been catching some nice fish in the last month or so all but 1 fish that Ive caught had empty stomachs.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If you are getting hung up I would suggest a Katbobber marketed by a sponsor here.

http://www.mainewolfproducts.com/

Then you can drift right over the channel edge and be very precise with your presentation.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    There are more shad in Truman than you can shake a stick at. The young of the year are just now starting to show up in the net also, so the overall size is down but the numbers are up.

We were out Friday evening and I caught 25 or 30 on just a few casual tosses as we drifted along near KK Island. Saw them in droves on the fish finder and couldn't resist tossing the net.

6. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    It don't matter wheather you are drifting the main channel or in a cove on Truman or LOZ,the larger fish tend to hold on or near suttle bottom changes like humps,holes,road beds,old ditches,creek beds or the main river channel.The key is finding the depth where the big one's are hanging and keying on those types of structure at or around the depth the big fish are holding at.You may have spend a little more time watching your fish finder, but it will pay off in the long run.