drifting

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by longhaulpointer, Dec 27, 2009.

1. longhaulpointer

longhaulpointer New Member

State:
    ohio
    ok, i know that i've asked about this before, but i'm very new to boat fishing and really don't know what i'm doing so i need to clarify some things. So with that said i checked out the video on drifting that was emailed around and i still have some questions that are probably stupid, but i need to know.

When drifting is the nose of the boat pointing down stream?
    if so, and i have a bow mount trolling motor do i steer it from the front when needed, or should i get a trolling motor for the back?
    when hooked on a fish, do you still keep drifting and have someone else steer if needed?
    When drifting and you get snagged good are you screwed and just cut the line?
    Is there times when the current is to fast to drift, or better yet what is an optimal speed for difting?

thanks for any help, i know that most of these questions must seem elementary but i've never really fished off a boat before i got one last summer

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    depending on were i am i will sometimes drift sideways to cover more area with my rods but most times with the nose up river and use my bow mount motor to steer if i get off course..
    if i get hooked up on a fish i keep on drifting unless i know i am heading for some snags then i may use the trolling motor to steer toward deeper water or just reel my other lines up off the bottom some and keep drifting....
    if you get snagged dont panic just get it out of the rod holder as quick as rou can and give it a few yanks like your setting a hook and most times it will break loose if not cut it.....
    and as for drift speed i have very little luck drifting in water over 1mph unless i use my trolling motor to stow me down...

3. little_fiddler

little_fiddler New Member

State:
    Otter Creek, Iowa
    I like to point the bow upstream and use a transom mounted trolling motor to slow the drift and control the boat. If I get snagged ( alot) I go upsteam (with the trolling motor) past the snag and tug the the line loose with the rod tip. If I cant get loose then I cut or break off and continue the drift. When fighting a fish I usually continue to drift unless there is an obstruction downriver that I need to avoid. If I need to stop the drift for any reason I have an anchor set up and ready to drop.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It all depends on the situation really. If there is no current or the current is slower than I want to move then I put the bow down river and use the trolling motor to hit the speed i want, if the river is moving faster than I want to use I point the bow up river and use the motor to slow myself down tot he speed I want. When the river is moving me the speed I want to go with no motor I let it take me anyplace it wants. My general idea is to have the bait moving a little bit slower than the current, unless the current is super slow then just a bit faster.

I drift all the time solo so there is no one else there to grab the motor. I just work it out depending on the speed I am going. If I am not using the trolling motor I will usually just fight the fish and figure it out later. If I am I usually just turn the motor off or down until I get the fish out of the water, then I readjust everything.

I don't really get that many snags because I don't drag my bait. A snag is a snag and there are few "good" ways of dealing with them. The main reason I will fight a snag instead of just cutting it off is the amount of line you lose when your drifting deep.

I would say that there is a LOT of time the current is not right to drift. I think ideally when the river is moving below 1mph is best time to drift with your ideal speed be .5mph. If you have a good enough trolling motor, especially one with autopilot or ipilot you can probably drift a lot faster water.

This is just one I picked up myself, others may disagree, but I like more weight when drifting. I also like every weight/setup to be the same. A lot of people like to rig two hooks in to one big bait, but I have found my hookups went up significantly when I started using two circle hooks around a foot apart with two different baits. For me the best way to target fish drifting is target different areas with different baits. Say you have skips and shad and your fishing with four rods, well if you have the two hook setup put a shad and skip on each pole, have one 1' above the bottom, one 3' above, on 5' above and one 10-15' above (for suspended blues) and watch what bait and height off the bottom works best. Once I have established how high off the bottom they are feeding I can pretty much tear them up.