drifting

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by preshrd3cpy, Aug 23, 2009.

1. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Ok I just got a boat and wanted to know any info on drifting,, speed and area to drift how does it work in the long run does anyone prefer it over just sitting and fishing? Any help on the topic would be great thanks.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've never done much drift fishing so I can't offer up much advice..I know for sure though that electronics and a trolling motor are important tools to drifting..I'd love to hear some input also on this subject..Hopefully in the next few coming weeks I'll be able to get my boat going..A friend of mine is gonna see if he can get it going..

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    For me, I put out two poles when drifting...One with a float, and a bobber stop to adjust the depth.. the other pole is a draging rig.. with basically a 3-way system and I "tend" that pole while "feeling" the depth of the water.

I have a transducer at the back and front of the boat to check for water levels as I drift through an area... and making any spots that look good with the gps.

The problems that I have on the rivers is that when the dragging rig hangs up.. you need to be near the main motor to fire it up to get "up stream" of the hang to get it "un-hung".... Trolling motors help control the drift, and so I'm sitting at the front of the boat doing the control thing.

I'm sure that there is lots of infor in the Library regarding drifting methods.

4. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    What lake are you near. I have had better luck drifting on Priest. There is more open water. Old hick has open water but it is more like big river. Go to bass pro and get some "no snag weights" they work great. A good place to start is suggs creek at priest. There is a boat ramp in the no wake zone and is a great place to catch cats. I have caught fish everytime I fish there. Make sure you have a little wind. Its usually blowing all the time out there except early in the am. If you can put out three rods try it. If they get tangled back off to two. Use those no snag weights. The water depth is anywhere from 15 to 6 ft and always fish on the radar. I have yet to catch any huge monsters yet out of there. I missed one the first time I fish it and was always hooked on that spot. There are a couple spots up toward smyrna I could tell you about near a tall bridge (Not hob pk)Dont knot the name of the road, but there are some big mud flats that run near the channel and have pulled out some 20 lb fish.(that is a decent fish for me) Im hoping to get a 40 plus this year somewhere. There are a few spots I have had sucess on OH near schutes. There is a good size cove there to drift in. Hope this info helps. Im not an expert by any means but I have had some success with this method and is also my favorite type of cat fishing. I believe in it.

5. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I dont like using trolling motor when drifting. too much going on. I have used it before but limits me to just on or two rods. As far as depths go I have had my best luck in under 20ft of water. I spoke with a guy that dives in priest all the time. He said he see more big cats in avg 15ft of water just sitting there on the bottom on big rocks. He has seen them sitting on sunken cars and especially in the sunken tire fish attractors. I have tried to drift in the real deep channels on OH. Have not done as well. Mabey I need to keep trying.

6. gruffy911

gruffy911 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey David, glad you got your boat going. When I drift I use two rods and the person in the back of the boat uses two rods. I have rod holders on the boat that will hold the rods. I use a 3-way swivel and a single hook and from 2-5 oz of lead. I put the lead on a short leader about 12" long and the hook on a leader about 2-3' long. I let the line go away to the bottom and then take the slack out so the sinker just bounces everyonce in awhile. I try to go when they are pulling water (You'll catch more) and then just let the boat drift with the current. I use the trolling moter just to keep the boat straight if it drifts side ways. If you'll come by my house one day or night when you get off work, I'll show you how to make some rod holders that are inexspenseive(made from PVC pipe from Lowes or Home Depot).

7. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey Gruffy could ya post something on how to make those, I'd really like to get an idea on em too. I'm using an 18' bass boat and dont have any way to secure a rod while trolling or drifting other than holding em. Thanks brother!

8. gruffy911

gruffy911 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jedi, all you have to do is go to Lowes and get a stick of inch and a half pvc and two 4-way fittings and stop by tractor supply and pick up two 3" equipment pins. Cut two lengths about 16" or longer for the rod holder part and then cut a short length ( mine is 4" ) to slide over your seat pole. Glue it all together and slide your seat pole through the thing and drill a hole through it for the pin to keep it from spinning around. This works better for bass seat poles that have threads on the bottom so you can screw the pole in and then position the rod holders and then drill the hole to pin it. One of mine is not threaded and it wants to turn sometimes. Hope this helps you. One good thing about it is: no holes to drill in the boat, just one in the seat pole.

Attached Files:

9. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Drifting can be both relaxing and at times very busy. I like to drift Lake Palestine in East Texas. You will need to get a feel for how your boat handles as it drifts. Mine tended to line up with the wind if any and that made it hard for the guy in the front and back to fish and not tangle up. I learned quick to raise the motor up out of the water. It acted like a rudder and kept the boat on the wrong line. After I did that we could both fish 2 rods a lot easier. What is so exciting is when both get a fish on at the same time. And sometimes both your rods will be busy with fish. Trying to real in 2 at a time is a HOOT.
    Enjoy it.

10. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks I would have never thought of doing it this way, seems simple enough, sometimes the simple things work the best, especially if I dont have to drill into my boat. Thanks again