drifting

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ash, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i new to drifting. i was trying to figure out the most productive way, bouncing bottom, or suspended bait. i have caught alot of fish drifting the past 8 months, but all were from suspended baits. an its never consecstant. tryed bouncing bottom yesterday for about 4hours no luck

2. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ash, I will tell ya. And this is just MY opinion. I usually drift VERY slow. 0.4 mph or slower. (use yoiur gps to get the speed) I am one that always pulls the bait along the bottom. I use 3/4 to 2 2/3 ox homemade drift weights (depending on dept etc) with a 3 fit leader and a crappie cork mid ways to keep the bait from hanging the bottom. I drift anything form Shad, Herring, Perch, Bream, even an old peice of chicken on ocassion :smile2:
    The area depends on the season of course.

I hope this helps and use FRESH bait if you can.

FINS UP!!!

3. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    Ash,

Also if you need a VERY high quality drift sock, visit, Mrs. Easterlin.
    you have used the rest like I have....NOW use the best!!!:wink:
    Seriouly, tell her Jim in Simpsonville sent you. Her prcies and delivarty are on her website.
    Myrtis Easterlin
    1046 Short Cut road
    Cross south Carolina 29436
    phone # 843 753 2353
    mceasterlin@homesc.com

4. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
  5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If your bumping bottom raise it up 4 inches! I never like snags and dealing with em. Drifting is a great way but Im guessing ky and sc fishing is a lil different??? Ive always drifted with the wind, always good to drift up against a wind blown bank. Ya might have to kick on the engine or trolling motor to stay off the bank though.

6. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanx for the advice. i went out last night on lake murry an caught 8 blues from 8lbs-18lbs. i belive that was why my fishing was so inconcestant, an i already got 2 drift socks 52'' thank for info on the drift socks i will keep it, in case something happens to mine:roll_eyes:

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Welcome to the Hood Ash!!! Drifting has so many factors, depth, wind speed & direction, current, size & shape of boat maters, weight in the boat, lake system, river, are they suspended or on bottom. Speed of the drift. Sometimes they hit better faster sometimes slower. I use my graph always it tells me where they are then it's up to me to give them what they want. In the late summer we drift the Arkansas river, have been hard for 3 weeks now. I use my homemade snake weights & Teamcatfish 8/0 double action hooks with whatever bait. I drag 1 pole on bottom and one suspended at the depth the graph says there at. Lots of folks will contridict mine dragging on the bottom but with the snake weight & double action combo hang-ups are really very rare yesterday we drifted at least 3 miles on the river I used 2 poles and only got hung up 1 time..and busted 15 fish..I believe drifting is an art & sometimes the conditions just wont let ya drift:wink: