Drifting with Sickle Hooks Yesterday afternoon

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jdstraka, Sep 9, 2006.

1. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I went out yesterday afternoon to green Valley lake north of Creston Iowa to drift for a copple hours and try out these Sickle hooks out that I have had in My tackle box box for the last fue years> I had red a post discussing the Sickle hooks and how Good the Hook up rate was. I have always used Kahlie hooks before. If you don't know what they look like they are somewhat like a Kahlie but fave a wierd bend in them and they are super sharp also. well I'm here to tell you Folks they work Great!! Cought 4 nice channel catfish an 8-6-5-3, and they were all hooked in the corner of the mouth. I was useing cut bluegill heads and filets with the skin on. Well I only had three of these bad Boys and lost one due to a snag,I know for shure I will Look for some more to add to My arsenal these were #6 0t. I feel confident that they would hold a Big flathead or a Blue and am really impressed of how sharp they are. If You Run across these give them a try. Youf Friend J.D.
    :big_smile:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

JD, thanks for the hook report. I am looking foward into giving those sickle hooks a go, just need to find sometime to get wet.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
  4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, John. Hope they continue to work well for you. I'll have to check them out, too, first chance I get.:smile2:

5. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the info i need to get some of them

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I use them in the winter and early spring with good success. I usually use the smaller baitholder sickles when the cats are touchy about large heavier hooks. Largest cat on these so far was a 38 lb Blue cat on 2/0 baitholder. I have some of the wide gap kahle type but have not used them but once and they worked well for the Channel Cats....not sure they would hold up to anything big though..LOL....will find out this fall(I Hope). But your right they are sharp out of the package and hold a point well. Weird looking hook!...LOL

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I guess as I have a package of 50 in my tackle box I best use them. They
    haven't caught a thing where they are. Thanks for the update.
    Bill

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Below is a photo of some of the Matzou Sickle Hooks in my box. I use them much the same way as you would Kahles. Let the fish set the hook or you set it....of course I like to rip their lips off...LOL. Below are the baitholder, wide gap(kahle style), and the gold one is the aberdene style hook.
    (notice the curved in point on the baitholders)

Attached Files:

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Second hook from left is a Matzou Octopus hook.