drifting with artificials

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by fishstick, Jun 19, 2009.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i watched an episode of "river monsters" on the discovery channel the other nite and the host was fishing for wels catfish on a river in spain. he was drifting a small swift river and casting what looked like a 5 to 6" sassy shad into small pockets of eddy water and was getting lots of strikes from these wels catfish. i don't see why this wouldn't work for the blues and flathead in our rivers. looked like some fast action type fishing that would be really fun. anyone ever tried this?

2. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    there is a bunch of us that use 4 inch sassy shad here in kansas at our local dam and catch alot of flathead

3. I had an In-Fisherman Dvd that showed them fishing with Power Pogies in the winter up north.
    They were were Landing Flatheads left and right.

sTRICTLY Catfish

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Add the Dead Red Spray from Team Catfish to those artifical swim baits. You will like the results.

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Flatheads will nail a silver spoon also. Lift it off the bottom and then let
    fall back. I think they think its a wounded shad.

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i've caught channels on spinner baits, blues on plastic worms, and flatheads on crappie jigs and caught one flattie on a topwater popping plug but i wasn't actually fishing for them. i may give give it a try when the river goes down and clears up some.

7. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I have tried this before on the Mo river while anchored, just having one rod out and letting the current work the lure thinking the vibration would pull one up. With as muddy as the water is though, do you guys think they would mostly stick to what they smell instead of feel, at least in a dirty water situation like this? In clear lakes and ponds, over the years we've caught several on artificial, just not on purpose.