Drifting weights

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by oldschooljohn, May 24, 2009.

1. oldschooljohn

oldschooljohn New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I am new to drifting for catfish. I need to know how to make the weights that looks like a shoe string filled with weights and then the cork and bait.:big_smile:

2. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    First of all welcome to the BOC. Check out the member library, it has alot of info you might find useful.
    Our good friend Wyliecat made this video. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lD5ckwcVrM

4. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC! I would like to know where to get the supplies for makeing the drift weights.

5. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    I use the same method as the video but I use bb's...it usually takes about 20 to 25 bb's for the 1 1/2 ounce weight...I get all of my stuff from a local walmart...hope this helps...:big_smile:

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Slinky Weights:

Shot Pellet Dia. Avg. Wt. Approx.
    Size (Inches) (Grains) #shot/Oz.
    4 .24 20.6 21
    3 .25 23.4 19
    2 .27 29.4 16
    1 .30 40.0 11
    0 .32 48.3 9
    00 .33 53.8 8
    000 .36 68.0 6

One ounce = ~ 8 each, 00 shot or ~ 6 each, 000 shot.
    Table 1. Lead Birdshot
    ShotNumber Pellet Diameter(Inches) Average PelletWeight (Grains) Approximate # ofPellets per Ounce
    12 .05 .18 2385
    11 .06 .25 1750
    9 .08 .75 585
    8 1/2 .085 .88 485
    8 .09 1.07 410
    7 1/2 .095 1.25 350
    6 .11 1.95 225
    5 .12 2.58 170
    4 .13 3.24 135
    2 .15 4.86 90
    BB .18 8.75 50

Table 2. Lead Buckshot
    ShotNumber Pellet Diameter(Inches) Average PelletWeight (Grains)
    4 .24 20.6
    3 .25 23.4
    2 .27 29.4
    1 .30 40.0
    0 .32 48.3
    00 .33 53.8
    000 .36 68.0

Links on the Web:
    http://www.fishermanshack.net/mcart/index.cgi?task=show&cat=Slinky+Drifter+Components

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/sinker_cord.htm

7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    You guys can just melt the ends together and clip it on a snap swivel, but I prefer to tie them. I was on my own when I started making these things a couple of years ago and I thought about doing that, but I decided it would be best to tie it on a barrel swivel and tie the other end shut. That way I know I'm not losing anything unless I hang up and lose the entire rig. I do melt the ends just to prevent unraveling.

I never even thought about using a straw. I don't think it would make it much easier though. I melt the end without sealing it to keep it from unraveling and it works fine.

blackwaterkatz - thanks for those links. I'll have to try those out for the cord. I can't find any shoe strings big enough for the #4 buckshot since Sportman's Warehouse quit carrying the strings I used to use.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to hhe BOC John.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have about 1/2mile of some nylon cord left to me by my SOC friends in the Army.I can send some to start anyone off.You need lead shot which you can by from Cabelas or Bass pro from their reloading catalogs.I prefer 000 buck.9 of them make a 1 1/4 weight that is perfect for me.The cord I have will take 000 shot.ANother source of cord and the best in my mind is rapelling rope or climbing rope which you can also purchase from places like REI etc.It makes the best weights of all and comes in bright colors.A round #2 pencil will help push the weights in the cords and something to heat the ends is about all you need.:big_smile:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks to all of those that have shared info for this thread. Appreciated. Good stuff.
    John Welcome to the BOC.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That's a good looking man in that video.......:eek:oooh::tounge_out::crazy::big_smile:

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Fellows i read all this stuff and watched the video's, all good. I couldn't finf the type of string i wanted and went a different route. Had a bunch of weights i took off a ripped up cast net, I took a piece of tarred trotline stagin and tied a bowline knot in the end (small loop) then threaded 3 of these weights on it and tied a big enuff knot at the bottom to hold them on. Will this work? I never made one prior to 10 minutes ago.:embarassed:

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It will work, John, but the parachute cord, or whatever material someone uses, helps it slide over brush a little easier, I think. Sometimes you can find shoelaces that are hollow braided that will work. Who knows? The loose lead bumping against each other may help attract bites; in fact I use worm rattles inside my floats a lot.

14. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I use shoe laces from dollar stores. I can get 120 inches for $.59. I use diferent size weights for them to make some heavier than others. If you plan on drifting in deep water you will need atleast 3 ozs. I am not to keen on the idea of tying knots on the ends. Let me explain: I think that knots will just provide a greater possibility of getting snaged due to the strange shape. I prefer heavier weights for the drifting style I use. I will keep that part a secret!:wink:

15. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Sunbird-

How can the knot cause a snag when it is smaller than the shot in the cord?

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I get all the materials from Catawaba Tackle in Rock Hill. He sells the cord and shot to make them. I think it costs @$35 for both. I use 20 shot per weight and it comes in under 1 ounce. If Im going somewhere that has deep water Ill make some bigger ones. I havnt had any problems drifting in 50' of water and keeping the baits on the bottom. Ill make up a bunch while watching TV, then go sit in the garage with a small torch and a pair of pliers and finish them.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've gotten some stuff from there, also, Cary. It's just a long ways out of my way; cheaper to mail order. :big_smile:

18. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I use 00 buck for my drift weights. Went with parachute cord the first round, then found a camo rope at Harbor Freight was like $1.99 for 50'. I just pull the fluff stuff out of it and it works great. 16-00 buck pellets make a little over 1 oz, I use these to drift 50-60' depths with no problem.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...I use worm rattles inside my floats a lot...."

The secret is OUT!!!

DANG IT!!

:smile2:

20. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Tom, I'm guessing that any surface that isn't smooth or directly inline with the weight has the potential to snag. JMO! There are many ways to skin a cat.............speaking of cats, has anyone heard the story about Roundhill trying to catch a catfish with a cat tongue?:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:
    It's worth hearing........multiple times!!!:wink: