Drifting /Trolling; How Fast Is Too Fast?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Jun 9, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Folks like myself that drift or troll for catfish will always argue about the "ideal speed". Some like it really slow, while some prefer faster speeds in warm weather to cover more water.

Personally, I try to go .50 or less, and even slower in the winter. The slower speeds in the winter is something I started doing this year and it paid off with lots of catches.

My real reason for the post is what happened to me today. There was an area that I wanted to get past really fast today, about 1/4 mile long. It was too short of a run to pull all the lines in an use the big motor, so I ratcheted the trolling motor up to maximum speed and was cruising along at 2.5mph trying to cover the area.

This higher speed will pull the lines way up off the bottom almost to the surface, so you don't get snagged. It makes covering water or making a 180 degree turn easy.

While I was rolling along at 2.5mph one of my rods folded over with a fish!! A two pound channel cat chased that bait down like a blue marlin and gobbled it up!!!

I don't think it is productive to troll this fast, but for one fish it was the right speed!!! :wink:

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Personally, I prefer to drift between .50 and 1.0 mph. Any faster than that and the rig and/or bait tends to jerk or bounce creating an unnatural presentation! JMO!

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree .5 mph is my ideal speed, but sometimes the wind helps dictate my speed even with 3 socks out. On those days (25+ mph winds) I usually end up doing about .7 - .9 mph and still catch cats, you gotta figure the natural bait is crusing along at that speed as well.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't really track my "speed", but I try to go as slow as possible.................but still be moving. That is the ideal speed for me.