Drifting this weekend

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fastman, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Im going to go drifting in my cove this weekend. Its is a big cove.
    With the cats coming off of their spawn, should I be towards the back of the cove in 10'-15' of water or towards the channel in 15'-30' of water.
    Thanks
    Fastman

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Hey Fastman,
    What MM you on? I'm going to be there the first week of July and would like to know how you do on drifting. Keep us posted, thanks!

3. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Im on 36MM.
    Didnt get to drift this weekend. I broke a through-hull on my boat.
    So on the dock I was. I fished prolly 18 hrs for the weekend. I will go on record saying it was slow. I had 5 poles in the water 3 had liver 2 had shad. I caught 3 eating size channels on chicken liver. Not a bite on the shad at all.
    Crappie were not biting either. 3 people fishing all weekend and only 8 keepers from them all. All on minnows.
    Fastman

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Don check your depth finder for the thermocline. It never really forms up on this end of the lake but if it does down there it should be 22-25ft. The oxygen level below the thermocline will keep the fish above it except for brief periods. When I drift I try to find uneven bottom contour or depth changes. The fish will hold on and around the edges created by the different depths and structure. Just my 1.5 cents worth. See ya on the water!

5. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've often wondered, if you're at the mercy of the wind, how you drift an "edge"?

6. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Ron,
    I have never seen the thermocline on my fish finder, I will double check my settings. I have not found any structure in my cove that would be above that thermocline. But the back half of the cove is only 10-15' deep. No structure there either, just flat. Should I concentrate back there?
    I always thought catfish held in the deep water.
    Thanks for the help.
    Fastman

7. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Actually Don you'll be more successful on LOZ most of the time fishing shallow. I know thats hard to believe but Feb. thru May is normally a shallow bite. This year with the low water conditions the deeper water produced the most fish but thats a little out of the norm for the Lake. Down on your end it may be a deeper bite. The main thing about the thermocline is the oxygen content if you see large fish near the bottom they are probably cats. As for drifting edges a lot of people get confused with the terminology but an edge can be a channel edge or a hump, a pice of structure of even baitfish. You can definately target fish while drifting. I NEVER drift without a plan and a target line that I have either drifted over before or prerun with sonar. I try to position my boat to hit certain key areas or edges during the drift. As an example suppose there is an inside bend near the middle of the main channel and a drop off at a creek mouth say north of the main channel. The wind is out of the North or Northwest I would work the creek mouth out past the inside bend and on to the shallow flat on the other side of the bend. I will have covered at least 4 to 6 edges or contour changes over that 200 to 500 yard drift maybe more. If I have prior knowledge of any cover present in the area that edge count will increase because I will set up to work across it. If there is a flat that regualarly contains baitfish I will try to include it in the drift as well. Most of your fish will be caught on the windblown side of the lake but don't ignore those contour changes, they are the key to success driftfishing. See ya on the water!

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Jess, I don't know about the beer, coconut rum and coke would be good as for the others.... OK. We're going to be down for long week so I plan to get in some fishing this time. Should be fun, if your in the area stop in and we can do some drifting. The kids will be going home on the 4th so anytime after that, I'm open. If you interested PM me and I'll get you my cell phone number that doesn't work very good at the lake. If someone calls we have to head for the dock and hang off the end to get reception. I know the neighbors think were crazy sometimes. Maybe you can get Safetybass to come out of hibernation and come along. I don't know if they need rain down there but that ought to get a few clouds a brewing. lol

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Wolfie, sent you an email with my cell number and a web site that has directions to the house. If you don't get it let me know.

10. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not in hibernation. And the insurance company paid for the boat repair. It's just not done yet. I think my prop is somewhere in Kansas. I hope they can save it. One ear was really knocked hard. I am hoping to have the boat back by the end of next week. AND, I was thinking about taking vacation July 5, 6, & 7. So maybe a trip to see Bill might be in order.

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Hey Larry, not to steal Bob Barkers line but, "Come on down". I'll PM you some directions and my cell phone number that only works when I'm standing on the dock leaning off the end.

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Talked with a few folks this weekend around my area...seems the Blues are starting to put the feed bag back on...so you guys should have some fun this weekend. Good Luck!:wink:

13. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    went to sparrowfoot sunday drifting caught 20 or 25 blues one was 29 lbs

14. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jeez, Robert! And it didn't even rain Sunday!

I hope you turned that big girl loose. Did you stay around Sparrowfoot, or head down a ways?

Bill: I will be there, with or without my boat. I have developed a taste for pan fried fillet of blue, and will be eternally greatful for some good company. Even if that nasty wolf is around. :tounge_out:

15. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    It's a date, NO! NO! That's not right, my river doesn't run that way, I mean OK, let me know when your heading my way.lol Don't worry about the boat we have a Hurricane Deck Boat and a 16' Lund with a 25HP so were covered there OK. The biggest problem I see is getting shad for bait, I have a cast net but so far it's more of a tangled wad than a cast net. Oh, by the way after reading some of these posts of what Mellon did if you want to throw my cast net there is a $25.00 deposit before throwing. :wink: lol!

16. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    HEY FASTMAN MY NAME IS KEVIN AND IM ORIGINALLY FROM LAKE OF THE OZARKS IM FORMALLY IN IMPERIAL ID LIKE TO FIND A PLCE UP HERE TO SOME MAJOR CATFISHING CAN YOU HELP ME OUT? THANKS....

17. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Where is Sparrowfoot? I was thinking it was up on Truman?