Drifting the Ohio River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by crazyjet1, Mar 22, 2008.

1. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was wondering how many of you guys when you hit the ohio river do you guys do much drifting at all. Kinda new to me drifting the river but I love to do it in resivour and have mastered that one but havnt adapted it to the ohio river. Was wondering if anybody would give me some tips or some advice on how you guys do it, rigs, speed, boat position, and results if it works well for you guys. Thanks the advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey crazyjet 1, drift speed .4 to .8 mph I like to drift with lines suppened at different depths , when u drift through a school of Blues look out all hell breaks loose 3 or 4 rods go down at the same time Good Stuff !!!!!!! :cool2::0a26:

3. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I usually drift the river when there is no current to anchor in.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    were to start just sttarted drifting last year an man was it a blast as they said up above .4.8 is just about right or if you can put it in a control drift with a troling motar at the end of the year last year i was running 4 rods right off the back dropping them all the way down on tha 1st would bring it up 2 cranks the 2 one 3 cranks an so on on till i found were the fish were at a lot of the place that i was drifting was along drop offs on the ledges into the deeper watershope to put a troling motar on the boat this year an try the control drift an see how it works out an trying some new rigs as well was using all slip rigs last year

5. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    oh no casey is going to learn to drift. There will be a ton of blues in the ohio with some sore mouths. :smile2:

6. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Hey Casey! I discovered drifting last year below Markland when there was almost no current. I would start up near the gates (not too close) and drift down to about the marker buoys. On one particular night I landed 8 blues, 2 flatheads (biggest 23lbs), and 1 striper while doing that. All within about a 5 hour period. I also lost a ton of tackle doing it. However, this year I have modified my drift technique and switched to a 3 way rig. On the sinker line, I am using big spit shots (think like 6 of them on a 6" line) so that if I get snagged, they will come right off. On the tag line, I am using a slip bobber about 4 or 5 inches above the bait. this keeps the bait off the bottom. This is a technique I was shown while at Santee Cooper a few weeks ago and I think out of 10 poles, we lost 1 rig in a whole day of drifting near the stump fields. It is a very effective technique with minimal tackle loss.

7. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thats some good advice scott. I like the split shot idea. How was Santee Cooper? catch any big ones? Casey ben said you guys got your jet running good,glad to hear that.Won't be long and will be burning the flatheads up!

8. shadgut

shadgut New Member

State:
    camby, indiana
    I don't know if it works, but want 2 try drifting the ohio, i just want 2 fish. Let's try it a.s.a.p.

9. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    scott theres a ton of humps at markland to eat up some tackle. I got the hump figured out. Im going to drift the barge lanes back from the dam them are the biggins..

10. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Ive done that too and you are right!!!