Drifting Speeds

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by krowbar, Oct 28, 2007.

1. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm fairly new to drift fishing. Have had more sucess drifting slower than faster I've noticed. Most of the time I let the wind control my speed but when the wind stops I turn to the trolling motor. Any suggestions on what speed to drift or troll at?:cool2:

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Try keeping it down to .5 -1.0 mph.

3. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    We drift around 1 mph.We also use a drift sock to controll the speed as well as the direction.

4. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    jason i drift about 95% of the time i like to keep my speed at .05 or less sometime i use as much as 30ft of drift soc when my speed gos past 1mph and i cant get it down i go in becouse the wind has got over 25mph and i dont need to be on the water if you can find me down on santee sometime i whould give you a demonstration anytime.ron howard

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ron, if I see you at Santee I will definitely take you up on that offer. Thanks for the great information. I love this website.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What Roundhill said; works great for me. I can get by with a little faster speed when the water is warm, but in cold water, slower is definitely better. .5 or less at all times if possible on Santee Cooper.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yep I prefer .3 to .5 too. Like Tommy said, in warm water .6 and .7 is not so bad but not much faster than that.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep I prefer .3 to .5 too.

All right, just have to ask... are you speaking of 3 to 5 MPH or three tenths to one half MPH?

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: Yeah we like to drift fast here in SC.

I dont know if your being funny or serious but we're talkin about 0.3 to 0.5 mph.:wink:

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Oh man, Chris I thought you tol' me 5mph - no wonder my baits been skippin' behind the boat like I wuz driftin' for marlin :eek:oooh: And at that speed it's real hard to keep them crickets inside the fruit loops :roll_eyes:

11. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    I normally drift at about 1/2 MPH (gauge speed with GPS) and have noticed I either miss fish or get fewer hits when I drift any faster. It is a good idea to have 2-3 different sized drift socks in your boat. Also, letting out more line on your sock will slow your drift. The water temp is dropping quick so the fish will slow down a little. Definitely don't want to drift any faster than .5 MPH.

Shayne

12. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    all i can say is i love my drift fishing i just started drifting this year there is nothing like drifting at about .5 to .8 an seeing a big old fish take down the rod an it hits the water then the fun begains trying to get the rod out of the holder while the fish is going up under the boat after you get going on this its hard to go back to ancker fishing