drifting south carolina lakes/reservoirs

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Dec 28, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    when y'all use your drift socks how far back behind the boat do you let the sock get??...it seems like the futher back it gets the more drag it causes but then it gets in the way when bringing in a fish or if the boat gets sideways it gets into your lines that are out...i added about 2 feet to my rope that i hook to the boat and used it yesterday and it did slow the boat down more but i struggled a little keeping the lines and fish out of it...also how long is your boat and what size sock do you use??

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Craig, I have a 17' center console and have fished on the santee cooper with my drift socks. I use 2 30" socks and only have them about 6' out from the boat. Yes putting them out further will slow your boat down more and fish getting into your socks can be a problem but you can control your fish by letting them tire themselves before getting them to the boat. Don't try to man handle your fish in but let them wear themselves our further out and after they have quit fighting then you can control where you bring them in. Give it a try and let them fight their way away from the socks. Good luck and let me know how things go for you.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    foothills i drift off the side of my boat. 18ft and use two 6' drift socks. one at the front and one at the back depending on how strong the wind is. sometimes i cut back to one in the middle. i have added 4-5ft of extra rope to mine. ive never lost a fish that was hung in my drift sock though. i have pulled the dump cord on mine several times to get them out of the way on bigger fish though.

4. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    I have a 20ft seaark and i drift off the side of my boat. I have 3 socks in the boat 2 6ft and 1 10ft sock. I put the two 6ft on the outside edges of the boat and if the wind is really bad put the 10in the middle. If there isnt much wind at all i just put one of the 6ft in the middle and just lay it over the edge to grab alittle and keep the boat straight. mine are all aproximately 6-7ft from the boat. In the winter months I like to slow down to hardly moving at all and we still seem to do ok drifting.

Eddie

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I think you're right about the further back your drift sock the more drag ya get. I have a 16ft. walk thru windshield boat. It's smaller and lighter than most. I employ 2 3ft. drift socks. One has the hole sewn shut and the others open. For me this rigging gives me options pending mother natures winds.:wink:

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If the drift sock is close to the boat there is a "draft effect" where there is not as much water flow by the boat and thus less drag. Getting the sock away from the boat helps solve that problem as you have realized.

Snagging a fish up in the sock is always a threat. I just try to be prepared to pull the sock in for the bigger fish. Personally I am not a big fan of letting a fish wear down because I have seen a few lost that way, especially if they can get to the bottom in shallower water.

7. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I mainly fish from a pontoon. If the wind is moderate I run one on the front and one in the back and sometimes one in the middle. If the wind is stiff I run 2 or 3 out the front and go backward. I run 2-4ft rope to the sock. It seems to me a long rope to the anchor gives the boat more room to twist. Will go back an experiment with longer sea anchor ropes. Thanks!

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I run my 6' sock anywhere from 6' to 15' from the boat, depending on wind conditions. If the water gets very choppy, my boat will rock a lot, so I move from a broadside drift, to placing the sock behind the boat, using a bridle to keep it centered. Use caution when doing this; in following winds you could get water over the transom. If I'm in water that rough, I'm not going to be fishing, even though mine is self-bailing. If the sock was to happen to hang up on something solid in higher winds, the stern could even be pulled under.
    I've tried tying off to the bow in stronger winds, but the boat doesn't seem to want to hold a steady course that way.
    Good info here; that's what I love about this forum. :big_smile:
    I've only had one fish hang up in the sock, and I gave him some slack and let him work out it. No big deal. Just take the time to work them in slowly and they can usually be guided away from the drift sock.

9. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    On my 15' I drift off the side most times but will some time set up off the back if there is not enough wind. I use two 36" socks if needed, set about 4' from the boat. I have several spots on the side of the boat to clip my socks, so when the fish get near to a sock the sock can quickly be relocated out of the way. Then once the fish has been landed the sock is quickly put back in place.

On Russell's 25' pontoon we use two 48" socks if needed, set about 6' from the boat. And with the same set up for sock placement.

10. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ok this may be a dumb question but i have only ever deployed one sock at a time out the back of the boat so for you guys that are putting out 2 and 3 socks behind the boat...well how do you do that...do you tie one to the other or put them on seperate and different length ropes or what??...and thanks for all the replies to this thread...some great info here!!!!

11. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    When I'm drifting off the back I'm normaly using my trolling motor. The drift socks are set up on each side of the boat but the socks don't go behind the transem. The socks just lay up beside boat.

12. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    On my pontoon,21 footer,if we have to use socks,most of the time we use them off of the back,,i have 2 5ft,and 2 3ft,,normally we will use just 1 if not too windy,tied to the center of the trolling bar,and like jd said,i can move it to either side to get it out of the way of a fish temporarily,some times will use 2 off of the back if real windy,1 tied to each cleat on the corner,sometime we do drift out of the side and take the same approach,i have used 2 5fters or used the 5ft in the middle and the 3fters on the ends,thats a little much out the side but has been done,my ropes are about 20ft long with dump cords on each for quick emtying,at least with the long ropes you can adjust the length as you need it,and sometimes the old pontoon needs alot cause as you know they catch the wind real bad,that is probably the only thing i dont like about a pontoon because they sit up so high off the water and catch the wind so bad

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice thread. How do you guys start off a drift. What do you look for and aim at or do you drift to look for fish?

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...What do you look for and aim at or do you drift to look for fish?..."

A good guide out with a fishing party. I like to set up about 1/4 mile in front of him so I have first shot at the fish!! :smile2:!

15. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    that was you...good one:smile2:

16. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    I like to look for fish first and then set up depending on the wind. And if it is a really short or tight drift I like to start on one side and make several drifts working my way over or across a certain spot.

eddie

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I like Dieters ideal best.:smile2: I focus on the wind direction myself. That tells me where i need to be most of the time. Im not much on trolling motor drifting myself. Just havent put much time in that method and im not setup to fish that way very well with my trolling motor selection. Second thing i do is get the hot spot maps out and setup according as a beginner and then branch out from there and find my own hot spots. Once i find i spot on my own i mark it with a gps cord. At satee i have found many things will produce fish from a hump, old creek channel, to hidden structure. My best spot at santee is a creek channel thats not even on the hot spots map as a good spot or even shown on the contour lines as being there. That spot produced 5 flatheads drifting last year over 40lbs. I found it in the randolfs tour 2 years ago. I fish it weather i mark fish or not and most of the time it produces.

18. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    Foothills, I use two drift socks off the back of the boat, one on each corner with about 10' of rope. Most of the time I use two 10' socks but sometimes I use two 6' ones and with almost no wind, no drift socks.
    Mudkip, I like to work any kind of depth change or structure when drifting. I have a hard time drifting a flat for very long, but that might be from too much caffeine.

19. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I have a 17'6" deep v and I drift off the side. I have three socks that I drift with a 42" a 36" and a 24". With little wind I wil just throw out my 36" with just about three feet of rope. In strong wind I will throw my 42" in the front of the boat and my 36" or 24" in the back of the boat. There as been a few time where a fish has goten tangled up in one of the socks but I just pull the sock and the fish in at the same time.:big_smile:

20. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Rodger I normaly cruise slowly across and back and forth though an area marking on my GPS different bottom features, bait clouds, big arches, & depth levels. Then check wind direction with a piece of ribbon tied to my radio antenna. Then pick a spot up wind in line with the features I have marked on my GPS. The line that has the most different features in one line is my first choice. A pattern of what feature produces more often will present itself, then target that feature. Might take a while but it normaly pays off in the long run.