Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one tell me where to buy drifting sinkers? The only place I know where to get them is at a couple stores around santee, but I only get down that way about 3 to 4 times a year if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Also check out the library, they are easy to make yourself if you are talking about the snake weights. I make them out of 8 1/4 oz. egg sinkers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I make mine. I use a barrell swivel, trotline string, and 1/8 ounce egg sinkers. I use 4 sinkers with a 2 1/2 inch cork. It will stay on the bottom even in heavy wind. It's almost nuetral in the water. It weighs just enough to keep it on the bottom.

·
Registered
41 Posts
for my drift sinkers, i order a 5# bag of #1 buck shot from cabelas. then i go to a shoe show store in town & buy thick 45" athletic shoe laces. roll them in your fingers to make sure they are the hollow ones. i put 11 shot in a length of string to make a 1 oz. sinker. then just burn ends w/ lighter & flatten w/ pliers. burn a whole in one end w/ a hot ice pick & it's ready to go.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
for my drift sinkers, i order a 5# bag of #1 buck shot from cabelas. then i go to a shoe show store in town & buy thick 45" athletic shoe laces. roll them in your fingers to make sure they are the hollow ones. i put 11 shot in a length of string to make a 1 oz. sinker. then just burn ends w/ lighter & flatten w/ pliers. burn a whole in one end w/ a hot ice pick & it's ready to go.
Could you please tell us the exact brand and model number of the shoe strings you buy. I've bought way to many strings that end up not working. Until you get them home, open the package and then cut them...you cant tell for sure.

I have repeatedly heard that shoe strings work but for some reason I keep asking what brand and nobody comes up with a answer.

I already make my lead. I cant afford $52 for 10 lb of shot. I myself don't like using the parachute cord, it's to stiff for me, imo.

many, many thanks to the one that can answers me !!!!

-Jim-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.