Drifting rods??

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by GMC FishHauler, Dec 12, 2006.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I am going to start into drift fishing. I was wondering what kind of rods to buy for this. Would trolling rods work?

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i use shakespere wonder rods myself. they are white rods very similiar to the striper rods they have out. i do most of drifting in lakes with the little float on my leader. these rods are real limber and that helps keep the bait of the bottom instead of jerking it like a stiff rod would do. you have to get use to the rod bouncing all the time but when mr blue hit you will know it. i caught a few today with them. just cast it out and let the bait drag the bottom. there are other methods that would probably require a differnt rod. the rods i use arent good for anchor fishing. too limber to set the hook with. these rods cost around 25-35 buck each so they arent the best rods but good for the cost. ive caught fish up to 50lbs on them and never broke one. ive had mine for about 8-9 years now. hope this helps.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My favorite is the Shakespeare Ugly Stick 1120 Big Water. Its a about $45, but sometimes, when Academy has their rod riot, you can get them for around $30.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I haave just used my regular rods. with the exception of my Tiger rods. The white uglysticks and big game rods are what I have used and done well with.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    As for the type of action, maybe it makes a difference depending on what type of bottom you fish. Mostly, I'm drifting soft bottoms with tree limbs and other debris that hangs you up. I like the 1120 because it has enough power to pull out of a hangup. The bottom where I fish is pretty uniform too.

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    thats the rods i use too.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Probably 90% of the guides I have fished with down at Santee use Ugly sticks or Tigers.Of course many of them have Shakespeare sponsorships so that might have a bearing on their choice.:big_smile:I use Penn Slammers because they are white and do the job either anchored or drifting.They are a bit stiffer that most for drifting but plenty strong and have a fast action.Of course now that I have used them for 10 years Penn has decided to change their color.Rod manufaturers for the most part don't get it that folks fish at night and white rods are the easiest to see.:sad2: :roll_eyes: :big_smile:

8. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    When drifting I prefer a graphite rod around 7 1/2 foot mated to a Abu 6500.You do not want a combo that is heavy that will wear you out in the course of the day.You will have it in you hands all the time,constantley lifting and bumping bottom.This is one good use I found for my old Bass rods,(the heavy action jig type).They are lighter than any cat rod and are tuff enough to handle most cats.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    now he is drifting on a vertical setup. what i do is cast mine out and set it in the rod holder and let it drag. i use the wind to move the boat or trolling motor. i use 7000 c3 on mine. most of the lakes i fish dont have enough current for the vertical setup. i can run 6 rod by myself off the side of my 18 ft boat. only problem is when you find a brush pile and your useing 30lb test..:crazy: i have to play with the trim on my boat too. helps keep the boat sideways. most of the time i have to trim it up. tie plenty of rigs up before you go.

10. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    In the end, this will probably come down to how you drift, if using rod holders, the white ugly stick cat rods will work fine (6 1/2 to 7 foot, med. heavy) in most north Texas lakes. Three good things about these for folks that are learning; 1) cost is cheap, 2) pretty much all purpose, can be used effectively drifting or anchored or on the bank, 3) easy to find.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Michael, I agree with you on rods with a softer tip, at least in boats like yours and mine. Now, a large pontoon doesn't rock around nearly as much, and a heavier action may work just fine. My boat will rock quite a bit when drifting sideways if there is much wave action, and the softer action rods don't seem to jerk the bait around nearly as much. I can vouch for the fact that my catch rate drops in relation to how choppy the water gets. Unfortunately, most of my rods are m/h but the couple I have in medium work better for drifting, at least in my case. Sometimes I put the rods horizontal in the holders and that helps some.

12. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

James,

For drifting, I bought Bass Pro Shops 7 1/2 ft. flippin sticks. They have them on sale 2-3 times a year for 29.95. The telescope in/out, are handy and don't take up too much space.

Paul

13. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I been using some 7&1/2 foot Shakespere Medium/heavy rods. They were on sale at Dicks for around 30$. I think they might be what you call trolling rods. They say TRW on the side. I like em.

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Michael.I live in Iowa and I love to drift fish for catfish and do it every chance I get(Channel cat) The lakes and inpoundments I fish don't hold large amounts of Blues and Flathead so it's channel cat.Now with that being said I also like a rod with a soft tip as it allows the bait to sorta slip across the bottom rather than jerk as happens with a stiffer rod as Tommy mentioned above.I Fish out of an 18ft.lund Alaskan.I turn the boat sideways and let the wind move me across the lake.Now I have found that Slower is better when drifting rather than faster.When the wind is moving the boat to fast I use one or two drift socks to slow the boat down and this helps alot.This is how I set my bait up.On my main line I tie on a #1 swivel and then tie on a leader approximatly 12/14inches long and tie on a #3or#4 Khalie hook as this is the hook that I have the Best hook up rate with,and I have tried them All.Now for the weight I I use only a split shot pinched on right above the swivel a #1 or #2 will work well if the depth is around 20/25ft. if the wind is sorta blowind I will use 2 split shot.I have My best luck with fresh cut-bait Fresh bluegill Heads or filets with the skin left on and scales removed,The Haeds work Better for the larger Channel Cat,and I have cought some nice ones up to #20 pounds,Just hook the Heads through the eyes OK.Crappie filets work good also as Fresh caught shad do also.The reason I leave the skin on the filets is that the catfish will chase the bait and pull on it some times and it makes it harder to get the bait off the hook with the skin on,just weve the filet on the hook 3 or 4 times works Good. I hope this helps. Your Friend.J.D.
    :0a26: