Drifting Question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Tubby Catfishin, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Ok guys lemme aske yall a question. If your on a Body of water and the current flows south but the wind is blowing north can you still drift fish or would going against the current turn the fish away because it looks unnatural...... When thinking in the form of a river I guess you always fish w/ the current be it on a Boat or w/ a Slip Bobber Rig. Anyone got any input on this???? Has anyone caught fish drifting against the current?? Im really interested in knowing this answer and all replies or advice is more than appreciated!! Thanks Guys and Gals!!

2. DPDE17

DPDE17 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like you need a drift sock or water anchor. Then you can go with the current no matter where the winds are coming from depending on how strong the winds are. They also work great to slow your drift in high winds.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tubby, I like to slow drift with an upriver breeze here on the Ohio. Sometimes the wind will be stiff and I will drift upriver. I have done well at these times just like drifting with the current. I actually prefer a little upcurrent wind, but will take any of it just as long as I aint sailing with or against the current at a fast clip. Vern

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very good question and it took me some time to figure it out myself. My experience is this. NO matter which way the wind is blowing, your bait is still going to go with the current. The main thing to remember here is which side of the boat do you put your poles on. Last summer, the Ohio river had very little surface current. So even the slightest wind would make your boat drift against the natural current. To counter this I just put my poles on the other side of the boat. The current will keep your lines good and tight and the wind drift is acturally better, due to the slower rate of speed.

5. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Good Question. I don't know. I suppose it might make a difference if you are using live bait opposed to cutbait. The natural/un-natural issue. On the other hand, a lot of the things we do aren't exactly natural. Maybe moving against the current would make your bait stand out. Oh well, I guess the best thing to do is ask the real experts: Catfish. How about trying it this year and letting us know how you do? Thanks for the question and good luck.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Here on the Tn River if we have north winds its blowing up river. and I enjoy drift fishing that way.
    I use the Trolling motor to keep me moving right and at he speed I need to be going.
    Some of my best days have been with 10 to 15 MPH winds and 3 MPH current.

If I am fishing the lake and above the dam where we will have good current also. I will still fish with the current. but the wind just helps hold the boat better.
    pete

7. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Guys I appreciate all the replies. Ive already tried once and didnt fare well but one time tryin anything just isnt enough. Think Ill try it again next time the wind is right.... or wrong.....