Drifting question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rookie12, May 5, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I was drifting today and something came to mind that I haven't thought about before. When drifting, have any of you noticed a diference when using different color floats on your leaders. Most of mine are read or white. just curious. thanks!

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    A lot of folks use the flourescent orange floats with good sucess.One friend put a rattle in his floats and swears it makes a difference.It might because he catches a ton of fish and makes his living as a guide.:smile2:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hum thats a good question, I aways like my floats to have a light color so I can see them.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've wondered the same thing, but have use different colors with no clear preference. I mostly use green or red, 2" crappie floats, but have tried yellow, red/white, etc. I've also tried the rattling beads thing, but I can't say that any of it makes a significant difference in hookups; doesn't seem to hurt either, though. :big_smile:

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Do you really think a catfish 20 or 30 ft down can distinguish colors? I don't.

6. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree, don't think it makes a difference. Have used white, red, green, pink.
    No difference that i can tell.

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    What kind of float do you use? the Crappie float with the peg?

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    havent seen no differnece in the cork/float but i have seen it with the fishing line being used. didnt take me long to figure that one out either when the partner was slaying them and i wasnt. changed the line and i started catching back up.:lol:

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Michael, can you elaborate on the line thing? Curious....

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    tommy i changed my line before a trip to santee and all i could get was flour. blue instead of the clear that i normally use. i didnt think much about it at the time because i was in a hurry. well we get to santee an start drifting and dads catching fish left and right an i cannot hardly get a bite. lucky for me dad had some extra line so i changed mine right there in the boat and it made a world of difference. we was drifting in the day time and the water was pretty clear and i could see the line going way down in the water. i dont understand it but its just one of them things that happened to me.

11. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Chris
    That is a good question. One gentlemen on the forum said he had catfish strike his float ahead of the hook, used to keep the bait off the bottom. He said he was sure of this because of marks on the float, and one fish actually caught with the float caught in the fishes mouth. I wonder if color was the reason or the action of the float in the water. Luck

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I don't know, but I've had them nit the float before. I got a blue last year that was hooked in the side of the head and the float was smashed. I think he bit the float and line slid throught his mouth and the hook hit him in the head. I don't know why they hit is. My only guess is that they smelled the bait and when looking for it, they saw the float first and hit it. I heard a guy I used to work with say that they hit different float colors on different days. He used green, red, yellow and white. and drifted Marion usually. I'm going to get some different color floats and try it. I'm also going to try fluorocarbon leaders and see if that makes a difference.

13. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I use Betts 1 1/2" slotted oval floats with 2 pegs. Red and white, Red, and yellow. :smile2: Can't say that I have noticed any difference in the # of hits on any of the colors.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I regularly fish in 5 ft. or less water and had some problems with the fish hitting the white corks so I quit using them. So far I haven't had this problem with other colors. The fish hitting the cork would sometimes result in a fowl hooked fish and in tournaments it is against the rules to keep a fowl hooked fish. If you fish deep water all the time then it should make no difference I never had this happen when fishing 10 ft. or deeper.

15. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I used a black majic marker and toned down my bright orange floats thinking the bright color would spook the cats. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, huh? The ink smell should have long past dissipated, I think.