DRIFTING QUESTION

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brian88b, Dec 6, 2009.

1. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    When drifting HOW IN THE HECK do you guys prevent a major catastrophy. I can see me now drifting:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2: Rod folds FISH ON I snag pole up and go to work Psyco fish goes crazy doing doughnuts like the General Lee I now have 6 rods off the back of the boat tangled into a nightmare mess trying to land a fish and re-rigging 6 poles, LOL. Is this a common problem when drifting with so many rods ??????

2. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Me and Thecatman had a screw up once in some real crazy swift current, but we were having anchor problems at the same time. the trick is to not let out to much line just let your sinker kiss the bottom real gently. when a fish hits reel em strait up..........if possible:smile2:

good luck and good fishing.

Bill.

3. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Stagger the lenght of the line you let out and you'll not have any problem. I have drifted 8-10 rods in the lake and very seldom get them tangled up. You will learn the more you drift! Good luck!

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Also, drift out of a heavy enough boat that a fish can't pull the boat around. I was drifting with my pard in his 14 foot jon last week. A big blue hooked up and quickly pulled the boat in a 360, resulting in three tangled lines. Had I thought quickly enough, I could have started the gas engine and kept the boat straight but it happened quickly and we were excited. :wink:

BB in SC

5. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I drift sideways with a drift sock, usually with 4 rods with sunk cork rigs with 3/4 oz sinkers holding it down, 2 regular slip corks on the very ends and maybe 2 down lines on the opposite side of the boat with enough weight to hold it straight down while drifting. Generally no problems but once in awhile all hell breaks loose especiallyif a striper nails a line.