Drifting question

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill in SC, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Does anyone use a drift sock in conjunction with a trolling motor when there is NO wind? Reason I ask is that, the other night Chris had to stay with the trolling motor at all times due to the fact that with no sock, the trolling motor pushed the Blunt 2+ mph. He kept having to turn the motor off and on to keep our speed below 1 mph, even with the trolling motor on it's lowest power setting. The only other thing I can think of is to add a rheostat to the motor so we can slow it down to the correct RPM to keep us under 1 mph. Wonder if my two drift buckets placed out the back of the boat would slow it down enough? Any Ideas? I hope to get back on 'em at Lake Wallace tonight and it's my turn to attend to the motor! :sad2:

Bill in SC

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea, I mean ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get the right speed. That's where the slide control pads for trolling motors works so well....... the ones with numbered speeds are a lot harder to control.

Here on Hartwell we use no socks and drift into the wind...no socks ( yep...I fish with Striper guys , LOL ; )

If there is no wind you can move slow with the slide control ones too.

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Bill, Have you ever tried to push a piece of wet spaghetti? Well that is impossible, unless of course, you know BIG STUFF!!:smile2: Now that whole spaghetti thing has nothing to do with your dilema, just thought I would bring it up.:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

By using your trolling motor and a driftsock you have created two seperate points of contact for steering and controling your boat. It is much easier to keep it straight when there are both. The motor directs it and the sock keeps it from swinging left and right as it settles into a direct line between the motor and sock. The problem is the wind, although out of the east all day, it is not a constant true direction. The wind is affected by clouds, trees, air currents and so on. Having your boat between two stationary points will keep it from being dragged and swung all over the place. Hope this helps!!

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I would do what ever it take to keep the speed down.Its been so windy over here i just use the wind and drift buckets.

5. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I wonder what it would do if you cut down an old prop on a belt sander, If you ran across one. I don't think I'd do it to a good one. As long as you cut the same off each side it should stay balanced. It would mess you up if you wanted to go fast. I left one between Santee State Park and the river channel, you can have it.:smile2:

6. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Quote by Bill

Does anyone use a drift sock in conjunction with a trolling motor when there is NO wind?

First off, why 1 mph? In the cool winter months i like a slow drift but when the water warm and the fish seem to fight like a true warrior:eek:oooh: well anyway, i like to cover water when the fish ain't bunched up. A strong wind or a trolling motor is a must. The guides on Santee have fished in all types of wind and have learned how to work around it. They use larger reels when they have to drift fast, they let out more line so the rig will come across the bottom even though they are drifting fast. (a catfish can swim faster than you can run and if he wants the bait he will get it) If you have no wind and want to controll your drift, a drift sock helps on my pontoon but i don't really need the drift sock on my smaller boat. Sometimes i just use the motor without the sock and other times i use the sock. I like a fast drift to cover more space. When the water ain't choppy it seems you need to cover more area to find the few that are willing to bite. No chop usually relates to a slow bite. Just let out more line, don't worry so much about the speed. I have seen guys troll for big catfish with gas engines and plugs. When the water turns cooler and the fish seem slugish, just throw out 2 small drift socks (one on either side of the boat) and use your trolling motor. The drift socks will be more to keep the boat straight than to slow it down but in the cooler water (winter) a slower drift usually produce more fish. Hope this helps and i hope all the Santee Guides don't gang up on me and beat me up for letting you know about there big reel secret:big_smile:jk

7. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    "GOTTAGO" just made a good point. I know some will disagree,but I have fished on days I had 3 socks out and still drifted probably 3 mph and still caught fish. One day all that would bite were big fish drifting fast. If they want it,they will swim fast enough to get it. Feeding patterns change daily!

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    sometimes i use trolling motor when there is no wind with soc to keep strate on santee you do not navigate in small places loke the troll motor down the soc will keep it strate this works good i even use the big motor the same way but this talk of catching big fish going fast is bull hockey the slower the better the roundhill:smile2:

9. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I would say put out sock be easier to set steady drift at what ever speed you want. I use socks and big motor on no wind days. Be same with trolling motor which I do not have. Good luck with fish.:wink:

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If there is truly no wind then you should not need a drift sock, unless of course you have issues with the adjustment of your trolling motor.

I will use a drift sock in low winds to make a diagonal drift to the wind possible.

11. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Its good to get a reply from some of the Santee guys. After fishn there more than 18yrs (thats as far back as i can remember) I know you can learn from them guys. Some love to drift fish because if you got paying clients that is the way to go, they want to catch fish, don't matter how big they are. So drifting is the ticket. I have caught more big fish drifting slow, why, because i have caught most of my big fish in the Fall and Winter. Seth caught his first 50lb fish on Wateree drifting a good 5mph+ drift, may have been faster than that. Wind was blowing like all get out and i had only a small drift sock and 1 Large one. We put one out at the back side and one out the front side to control the boat speed and keep the boat sideways. Caught several in the 10-15lb range and then a 35lb blue. As soon as we got him in and continued the drift the 50lb fish hit. I will be the first to admit that my largest fish have come from running water on anchor but i have caught a lot of big cats drifting both slow and fast. The ticket is to know when to drift fast and when to drift slow, when to use small bait and when to use large bait. Bass fishermen think catfish is an easy prey and you only need skills to catch the old largemouth. Well, catfishermen know that to catch big fish often, it takes skill. Catfish ain't as dumb as he looks and when you get good at catching Blues and chanel's, then we will talk about catching the Flathead (to me the smartest, strongest, cleanest fish on the planet):big_smile: Roundhill is still da man

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just curious Bill but are you using a pontoon or V-hull.Stern into the wind or sideways.You can adjust speed somewhat with how you drift.