drifting or on bottom

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Aug 3, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im new to bluecatfishing im wondering if i go to the bottom or a bobber,clikers or no clikker, im going to get a buch of shad and freez them then, head to the deepest coolest part of the lake, if i drift how deep

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Drifting in the river, using rod & reel, I've always tried to bump the bottom. But I've caught so many suspended fish on my jugs that the next time I drift fish with rod & reel, I'm going to try using a float.

3. Flag

Flag New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i always let it to the bottom then pull it up a couple of turns and drift and i have had good luck with it.i have never had any luck freezing shad when they thaw out they just fall apart

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try bumping the bottom with shrimp soaked in garlic. You should go home with a smile on your face and fish in the cooler.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    There is 2 ways people might consider drift fishing. One style is to drop your line straight down out of the rod holders, then bounce bottom..or suspend your bait while drifting, floating etc.

Another way is to use slinky weight or other rigs but this way your line is 100' out the back of the boat...not in the holder straight down.

There are a lot of ways and all work. I myself have my lines 100' out the back. There are tons of rigs, boat control methods, etc.

narrow down your method that would work best in your waters. Then maybe check the library. You will also l get plenty of replies here I'm sure.

-Jim-

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Great info on drift fishing. I have never tried this method before. Just an ole bank fisherman but I am going to give it a shot.

7. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    shrimp marinated in a garlic sauce!well i aint fishing with that! id be eatin it! 7.99 at red lobster!:big_smile: its called shrimp scampy :smile2:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I'm with you on this one Steve...W

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Shrimp is only 1.99lb here, theres a lot more expensive baits. Going to try it tomorrow.