Drifting or jigging the Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cattat, Oct 2, 2007.

1. cattat

cattat New Member

State:
    ohio
    anybody know anythink about jigging and drifting on the ohio. my friend and I are trying to learn this technique. any info will be helpful. thanks

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Jamie,

Welcome to the BOC. There are several methods of drifting and I am sure that someone will chime in with another "Ohio River" Technique. but here are two techniques to get you started.

1. 1 fisherman 1 rod - Rig this one this way. Starting with a bare line take one large swivel and two lengths of leader. The first leader is the heavy line from the swivel to the hook. This leader should be 8-12 inches longer than the other leader. For a hook, a Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus circle hook or a 10/0 King Kahle is a good one for catfish from 3lb-30lb. The second leader line, the longer one should be lighter line to help break off in snag situations hopefully saving terminal tackle. I use 50lb for the hook leader, and 15-20 lb line for the sinker. On your long leader place a large enough sinker to hold your bait vertical and down to the bottom. This may vary dependent upon current conditions. On the Ohio I would start with a 3 oz egg sinker up to 12 ozs in heavy current. This is a vertical drift method where just like on a Salt Water charter, you sink your bait to the bottom and then reel up a foot or so. You hold the rod in your hands maintaining "feel" with the bottom.

2. This is for fishing multiple rods. 1st you need strong rod holders on the boat. Next you rig the same way but be sure to use just enough weight to maintain contact with the bottom. Here you lower your bait to the bottom and then pull out a little more for shock absorbance, angle and depth change. Here you will lightly drag the bottom with your bait 12 inches off the bottom. When a fish hits this they will hit it very hard so make sure you have good rod holders. If you leave them hang over the side, keep your feet on them,lay them on the deck, etc... you will lose them.

I hope this gives you an idea and some good luck.

Shawn

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    loanwizard,and t-spergin are experts on drifting. i mainly fish river flats, and can't give much info. for the lakes. listen to them, they have done drifting for a while...goodluck..rollo

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Adding to the techniques that Loanwizard stated above. I tie the weight on at the bottom of the main line. Then go about about a foot and tie a loop into my main line. Length of the loop is around 10 to 12 inches. Just slide the end of the loop thru the eye of the hook then around them bottom of the hook and pull it tight onto the eye. I use pretty heavy braid line on the Ohio. With this setup there is no knot at the hook to fail. Then with the rod in the holder just let the rig drop to the bottom and real it up a little. Now if you have a fish finder onboard look to see how deep that what you think are catfish are swimming or laying. Subtract the difference between the fishes depth and the bottom depth and thats where you want your bait to be. Next you will need to figure out how much line comes in with a turn of your reel so you can reel the rig up to the desired depth from the bottom. Don't forget to take in consideration the distance between your sinker and hook when figuring it. Keep a close eye on the bottom depth when you are drifting you will need to adjust the line depth accordingly. It can get a little hectic if you have a bunch of poles out at one time. Hope this might help you somewhat and good luck on the Ohio.

5. cattat

cattat New Member

State:
    ohio
    we went out friday night and saturday till noon. not one bite. put in at washingtonville, wva. it was hot as crap.

6. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've barely dabbled in drift fishing and the only time I've had any luck is with bottom bouncers rigged with circle hooks. That's about all I can add here:sad2:

7. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If I was you guys I would not do it, it don't work your wasting your time ..:crazy::cool2:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I'm wit DH on this one!!!
    Total waste of time!!!

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now we know why you don't catch many fish, LOL!!!

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here's what I would do Shawn: I would get a 200lb test line and get a 24 oz sinker, like the bank sinker kind, put a treble hook on about a 20/0 treble. and drop it down in along the blown down trees on the bottom of the river and fire up the boat and go about 20 MPH, you should do good. :crazy::smile2:

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would like to add to this!!! You need to hold on to the rod, no rod holder is neccasary. Should prove just how big a boy you are, LMAO!!!

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    NO wonders Eric's fish always have three hook marks in there belly's. :wink::smile2:

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Or, You could always do it like "Cuz" duz, LOL!!! Put 15 treble hooks on a line and use 10 rods out of the back of the boat and idle till you catch something, LOL!!!!

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ya know JW, you might just be on to something. :wink:

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    WARNING!

THREAD HIGHJACKED BY KENTUCKY AND MISSOURI BOYZ!

Low IQ alert for today! Very contagious! Eric (DH) used to be an upstanding Pa Conservation officer and he once lived in Ohio. Once he move to Kentucky he became.... welll... LOOK at him!

He moved in right down the road from JW because they thought they could share the on local brain cell.... unfortunately DH has become very selfish cause he got the one brain cell and JW got none.... obviously.

BTW, Cuz is a pilot for Jet Blue.... that's why their fares are so low... that tarmac debacle last year.... Cuz though a binkie would start the jet.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While the above mentioned methods of drifting are probably the best I know of, one addition you can make to them without interfering with them is to use a slip float and drift a couple of lines some distance back behind the boat. Make these lines just short enough that they don't hang up.