Drifting near KK Island on Truman?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, May 15, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Haven't drifted around KK Island yet but it's on the "to do" list for the very near future.

I was studying my Hot Spots map of the area due east of the island, trying to formulate a game plan for my next trip there, and it shows a lot of stumps and other submerged "stuff" on the bottom -- is that area where most folks drift at, or should I be looking in another direction? Seems like you'd lose a lot of rigs if the stumps are as bad as they look on the map.

Relative to the island, where do you drift mostly? West toward Berry Bend? North toward the mile-long bridge? South toward the Pomme de Terre river arm?

Do any of you drift in the area on the west side of the lake just north of the mile long bridge? It's big and flat and fairly shallow over a lot of that area - seems like it might be a good spot.

Guess what I need to do is just spend a half-day or so motoring around the area and studying the sonar. But any tips would be appreciated.

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty the answer to that is "it depends". I have caught fish all around the island as well as off the humps just North of the mile long bridge. Those brush piles or humps near KK can cause a lot of hangups but you can also pull some fish off of them. If you can locate the shad in the vicinity your ahead of the game.

Marty, I haven't got to make it up there like I intended to this week due to high winds. Steve said with the discharge going the way it is you get pulled towards the dam from everywhere. If I make it up there and catch anything I'll share the details.See ya on the water!

On a side note
    I just got off the phone a little bit ago with Eric Simcox(Deerhunter01). We were discussing his new Fishing Electronics threads. I think Eric has some great ideas that will prove useful to anyone trying to locate Blues.

3. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    I just got my place at warsaw and started fishing that area late last summer. The area north of the mile long bridge has been pretty good to us, several humps that always seem to hold fish. I too am looking forward to trying around KK island. I am headed that way this evening and will be there till thursday afternoon. Big Magic or anyone who would like to hook up give me a call on my cell, 660-542-6382 and we will see what we can drag in. Where do I find the schedule for water discharge? Are they planning on running water this week? Thanks, Boog

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the info, Boog - I'm going to scout out some areas around the bridge when I get a chance. Wondering though if the fish are moving back to deeper water with the lake temps cooling off? Maybe if spring time ever comes back, it'll warm up some more..

Unless we get some more rain, I think they're about done with the massive water discharge for now. They'll move some water but not much.

Today's Truman Lake conditions: http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/cgi-bin/daily.pl?site_name=truman

3-Day Lake Level Forecast: http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/water_reports/lakepool.fct

Real-Time Water Level on the Osage River at Warsaw: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=06922500

5. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Thanks for the links Mr.T, I have already figured out that if they are running water, you want to be on the LOZ side fishing. If not, seems like the fishing is better up on Truman lake. We have also had good luck drifting across the big flat out in front of the dam. Catch a lot of eatin size fish there, 5-10 lbs. Boog

6. CLD

CLD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The drifting is starting to pick up. Caught eighteen on Monday. Mostly five to ten pound range. Went by myself and was pretty busy a couple of times. Caught several more on Tuesday. Mostly same size, except for one that went 21. Marty, sorry you can't make it to the gathering. I was looking forward to meeting you. I have a cabin on Truman and my family and I will be down this weekend. My youngest son caught a 23 pounder last weekend and is pretty pumped. I held onto his coat collar so he wouldn't go off the back of the boat.

Chip D.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the report, Chip - what part of the lake were you fishing in?

Really wish I could make it to the gathering - had been planning on it for months, but baseball trumps fishing. My son's tournament includes 2 games on Saturday and at least 1 on Sunday. We won't know the time of the Sunday game until Saturday evening, and if they win, they keep playing on Sunday in back-to-back games. Going to be a long weekend for a bunch of 9-year-olds...

8. CLD

CLD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Marty,

I fished the flats by the mile long bridge and some small breaking flats coming out of deep water off some points. Used shad sides while drifting and heads with gills trimmed while anchored. Will be heading south to the lake in a couple of hours.

Chip

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Went out on Friday afternoon and fished the flats just north of the mile long bridge for about 5 hours with very few bites. The wind was just right and we drifted in 8 to 25 ft of water, making several different passes. Painted a few fish on the sonar, had a few real hard hits and one good take-down that resulted in 25" blue but otherwise the day was a bust.

We ended the evening by going down to the flats just south and east of KK Island at about dark, but by then the wind was dead so I had to use the trolling motor to pull us along. Spent just over an hour there and had one bite to show for it.

So either I'm doing something wrong or the fish just aren't biting.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Went out Thursday and caught 6 fish in two drifts. They weighed from 5 pounds up to 18 pounds. They seem to be wanting Large bait. We used carp sides and Large shad. Had one run that was a really good one that came off. Avoiding it this wk. end, too many ummm people out there for me.
    Good luck out there.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Oh yeah - you reminded me, Troy, of an interesting incident yesterday.

We watched some guys set out a couple of trotlines with huge jugs marking the ends. After they were baited, the fellows went over to join the mass of boats chasing white bass about 1/2 mile away.

About 30 minutes later, these two morons on jet skis came roaring up the river and decided it'd be fun to make a slalom course out of the trotline jugs - in and out, around and around. Didn't take the guys who set them more than about a minute to come roaring up, and the chase was on. Finally got one of them cornered by the bridge and though I couldn't hear what was going on, I can assume heated words were exchanged. They had they guy stopped for probably 20 minutes or so, while his cowardly buddy was stopped behind a bridge piling about 1/2 mile away.

I think it's reasonable to assume those kids won't be monkeying with trotline jugs anymore...:roll_eyes: