Drifting Lake Hartwell

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Redneck in a Skiboat, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've had a heck of time drifting on Hartwell. I found every tree and stump out there. I'm spending a fortune in tackle. I've caught a lot of small 2 to 3 pound channels and a few blues 5 to 7 pounds, so I know it works.

2. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    what kinda of rig are you using? try slinky weights with a santee rig, seems to help alot. also what part of the lake are you fishing, some places are near impossible to drift without losing alot of tackle

3. Redneck in a Skiboat

State:
    South Caro
    I've mainly been using 3/4 oz. Eagle Claw Slinky weights or a 1 1/2 oz. homemade flexible sinker (doesn't seem to matter much both hang up), a barrel swivel, 3 foot leader, 5/0 to 8/0 Circle hook with a 2 inch float pegged 8 inches up the line. The day I really hung up bad I fished a spot near Riverforks and another up Six and Twenty. I've had better luck on Coneross, but still hang up alot.

4. Redneck in a Skiboat

State:
    South Caro
    Hey Bambu, thanks for the tip.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    man that it is hartwell...it is a snaggy sum bi*ch!!!...you gotta check your depth finder when trying to drift a new area...i'll run real slow over an area i intend to drift and watch my finder...if it is loaded with snags then i move on...before you know it you will have several driftable areas in hartwell but you will still lose rigs there now and then...that's just how it is...unless we can figure out a way to catch cats on topwater:smile2::wink::smile2:

6. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    no problem, let us know how you do

7. Redneck in a Skiboat

State:
    South Caro
    Hey Kelley, Thanks for the P.M. Never mind on the pictures e-mail, I did a search and found the pictures of your rig. I was wondering how you had that bottom egg sinker attached. Is it Crimped on the line or tied.

8. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It's tied.