Drifting,How hard is it?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by johndeere nut, Aug 31, 2009.

1. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    I have never tried drifting how does this exactly work do you have to have a depth finder and do you drift with the bait right on the bottom i would like to start trying this as just sitting and anchoring isnt doin much right now and i would like to cover more water.:big_smile:

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    check out the catfish sydicate and become a member , there is a great video explaining the most common drifting method.Usually you need a fish finder to find the balls of baitfish , you should see the bigger fish underneath but sometimes you don't.Just set as many rods as you are comfortable with at different depths and it helps to have a selection of baits.the hard part is controlling the speed.You have to take the current and wind into consideration.That is one reason a gps is nice so you can see your actual speed.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Its not hard, ya just have to get use to it is all. Some drift with the lines under the boat using a Carolina rig. Or like I do, drift lines out 200' or so behind the boat and bounce the bottom using a " slinky rig ".

Give a little info on what kind of boat and if your lake or river fishing, I only lake fish so I lack exp on rivers.

4. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That 200ft thing on the Ohio is very hard to do.a depth finder is a must,drifing with the current is easiest when the rivers right,I personal look for flats,theres some mile long flats around Owensboro right off of some deep water with grain,great spot,Look for these kind of areas.I fish staight down from the boat with a carolina rig about 1 to 2 foot off of bottom.Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    in open water the way jim is talking about[santee rig] will work in the river just ask ol roundhill.... thats how he fished the ohio river during the cabelas classic and finished 3rd...

6. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    You ever tried it.Big A

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    only once on a sand flat and picked up 2 fish but only had a couple hours to fish and i have never tried it again.. you most definetly need a trolling motor to keep the nose of the boat down river....

8. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    I'd like to see it done.Seems to be a great ideal,in the right spot.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    this is a great post ....I have never drifted realey and am interested in it....reps to yas for good info here Thanks everyone

10. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    I drift using the trolling motor to keep the boat right. I bounce the bottom below the dams and above on the lakes. I love it.

11. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i dont have a trolling motor as i dont have that much money can you do it with out one

12. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey brian there was a free trolling motor in the classifieds, not sure if its still there or not but ya may wanna check

13. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    you can do it without a trolling motor if the conditions are very favorable. If there is little to no wind or a wind in the right direction you can. If the current is exactly right you can. You may be able to use drift buckets or a drift sock to slow your drift or someone in the member library posted an article about using a heavy chain to drag to keep you slowly moving down river. You can get away with a trolling motor but a speedo on a GPS of some kind is almost necessary because you need to know how fast you are going so you can adjust accordingly.

Drifting takes some getting used to, but even if you are not doing it the way everyone else does, you still likely will get some results.....as you are covering a larger amount of water in search of active fish.

14. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    this is alot of good info i thank all you guys for it. i do have a trolling motor that came with the boat but it dosent mount to the front of the boat it will only clamp on in the back of the boat. thought i read the maximum speed you want is 2mph and no faster is this right

15. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    What is a drift bucket? I've heard that refered to, but I don't really get it.:embarassed:

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I control drift and have done it on ever body of water with current I have been on. Today I had about 275ft of line behind the boat. Current was about 2.1 MPh I had the boat slowed down to about .6 MPH. Works great Shoot theres time's I have 300 yard of line out the back of the boat.
    Even worked on the Ms river a few weeks back.:wink: And I used to use a transom mount trolling motor. They work just a little more effort to keep the boat straight.
    I have been shooting videos the last 2 days to go with a Controlled drifting writeup I'm doing.
    Also it can be done without a trolling motor. I did it for years before we had a trolling motor or even seen one.
    Pete

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  17. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I despised it when I first started but I absolutely love it now. That is all I do this time of year when the fish are spread out. You can cover so much more area. I use a minn kota with auto pilot, which is awesome. you merely point the motor in the direction you want to keep the boat upstream at the correct speed and forget about it.

18. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    There is a book I have that explains the "bottom bouncing" I call it drifting method where you have about 150 feet of line dragging behind you.It has a chapter on it and a pretty good beginners book with alot of techniques.
    The title is catfishing beyond the basics by keith Sutton.I picked up a used copy on the flea bay for less than $5.00.
    I have never tried it , only used the crappie style spider rigs at differant depths.For this method I keep the speed from .75 to 1.2 m.p.h. simmilar to crappie.I learned this on my own so another speed may be best.A gps is almost a necessity though so you can adjust the speed.Good luck
    If anyone knows of another book or video on this method please post.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  19. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Here is a pic of the hardback cover of the book I mentioned.
    [​IMG]