Drifting Help!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Freeman.360, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Freeman.360

Freeman.360 Guest

[​IMG]

Is this this rig i should use for drifing??? And will it get hung up? Should i just get like 4 rods and put on one side then let them drop to the bottom and let them bounce or should i do like striper fishin and just let some line out but not to the bottem? im confused. please help me :eek:oooh:

2. Freeman.360

Freeman.360 Guest

Okay my first one messed up. But i need help drifting for big blues. I know the carolina rig with a slip bobber but will that get hung up. Should i just get like 4 rods and put on one side then let them drop to the bottom and let them bounce or should i do like striper fishin and just let some line out but not to the bottom? im confused. please help me

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The problem I see with a slip bobber is that your depth remains constant. If you set the bobber so the bait is hanging 6" above the bottom, as you drift the height of the bait above bottom will constantly be changing. I would think if I was fishing that way, I'd only set one pole with the slip bobber. I like to put my other poles on the bottom, draging a 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce bank sinker (lake fishing, of course). Sure I hang up occassionaly, but that is a part of fishing. I like to have my presentation anywhere from 40 to 60 feet beind the boat as it drifts. I try to tie my hook on so it is about 6 inches above the bottom. My friend ties his so they are about 2 feet above the bottom, and both of us catch fish. Incidentally, we catch about the same number of snags. I have started tieing my sinkers on with 6 pound monofilament. Sure saving a lot on circle hooks, as expensive as those jokers are. LOL

4. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Freeman, I use a 1 3/4 pencil weight tied to the main line from the rod and reel. On the other end of the pencil weight tie you a leader around 30" long. Slide you a 2 1/2" cigar cork on the leader aand then tie on a 8/o hook. Put peck in bottom of cork and cork should be 4" above the bait.I drift my rods out the back of the boat and let them run out 100-150 ft. if you are lake fishing. You can fish all 4 rods if you stager how much you let out! GOOD LUCK!