drifting help needed ???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by 4bratsdad, Aug 15, 2009.

1. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    need some help guys i've never learned how to drift tried it and had boat spin on me, just got a new boat and want to learn, i know how to rig my poles and rodholders, need to know how to control boat, i have 16' polarkraft flatjon, foot troller on front, 25johnson, im just not catchin the fish i use too anchoring seems like drifting is the way, do i put my lines out and just pull boat w/ troller to keep from spinning& do i need to pull up outboard? wind?? driftsocks?? got frustrated few times i tried, it's time i learn. any advice will help!! thanks

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    My boat naturally wants to drift the same way it drives, bow first. I drift fish almost exclusively sideways, and fish out the side. I tie a drift sock on the front cleat and that keeps the boat sideways. I have three drift socks. I just add another drift sock onto the front depending on how hard the wind is blowing to keep the boat sideways. You can raise and lower the outboard to fine tune the boat position. You can also turn the steering wheel one way or another to fine tune boat position. If the wind is real bad you may need to add a sock to the rear cleat and 2 to the front to slow the boat down. 1/2 mile an hour is a good starting point. You can adjust speed faster or slower depending on what the bite is like. The farther out the socks are the more they slow you down usually, but the more chance of a fish getting tangled in them also. I use to use the trolling motor to keep the boat sideways. That is a lot of work. Drift socks are a must have if you are drifting lakes.

If there is no wind, then the rod rack goes on the back and I use the trolling motor. I troll about a half mile an hour with the rods out the back.

This is how I lake fish. I do not get into any river fishing so that setup would be totally different I am sure.

Welcome to the BOC!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Drift fishing is the name of a popular technique used for catching all types of fish, and catfish are no exception. In fact, as cats mostly live in moderate to high current situations, drift fishing can be a very effective means of catfishing.
    Especially, if you are fishing in a long stretch of water, and are unsure of the location of the fish, or in cases of questionably heavy bottom cover, where bottom rigs are continuously fouled and snagged, drift fishing is a top solution to enjoying a peaceful float along the waterway, and covering a lot of ground while fishing, with little chance of snagging, once the correct fishing depth is attained.
    Most cats require acclimatization to an "odd" bait, and so, are cautious around many fabricated baits, making drift fishing with these baits sometimes less effective, but big cats will often strike a naturally-occurring bait as a matter of opportunity, as it drifts along past them.
    Once they are bigger, Channel Catfish and Blue Catfish, especially, are both almost exclusively fish-eating species, and will seek out a nicely-presented dead fish (four or five inches long, and somewhat stinky) as it is drift-fished past their hideaway, as this is just how their favorite food shows up in nature.... drifting into their space with the current.
    Drift fishing for cats, like all catfish pursuit, is best done in late evening and overnight, though it is not impossible to get a bite during the day, if your bait happens to be in the right place, at the right time. You'll need a boat, obviously, and possibly a drift fishing "drag", like a parachute, or a small and very quiet electric trolling motor, to slow your surface drift speed to match the more languid pace down below, where ideally, we want to allow the bait to float and tumble in a deceptively lifelike fashion, to get the most attention from the cats. Drifting too fast, and pulling your bait, becomes more like trolling, and greatly reduces your likelihood of bagging a cat.
    Line weighting for drift fishing is a touchier subject, as the size and type of bait you are using, the tendency of your line to float or sink, and your drift speed will all influence the depth at which your bait will "want" to drift at. Bigger baits tend to sink fairly well all by themselves, but smaller or more buoyant baits will need some weighting to get then down where they can be found by the catfish.
    Cats, however, are extremely sensitive to the feel of a weight associated with the bait, and will spit the bait out within a couple of seconds, or faster, if they can sense the unusual nature of what they are taking - remember, that cats "see"up close, almost entirely with their sense of touch. For this reason, use as small of a sinker as you can get away with, to weight your line, and ideally, simply increase your bait size, or its buoyancy, to make it dive, rather than using sinkers for drift fishing. It's all about the lifelike presentation of the bait, here.

- That was an article I looked up for ya on drifting for these bad boys. I hope it helps.:wink:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well first you rip the e-brake and pitch the car sideways so the back of the car slides to the outside of the curve then you wanna downshift and power through the curve with the front wheels turned slightly oppisite of the direction of the turn throttle and stearing will have to be ajusted accordingly.:smile2::tounge_out::wink:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Let us know if your fishing a lake or river because the answers will not be the same ; )

Welcome to the boc
    -Jim-

6. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have only drift fished with any success in the river. I have no real experience I drift fishing in lakes.

In the river, I usually use a pretty big hook, and some live bait, minnows or crayfish. No sinker or bobber, just through it over the side and let is sink as you drift down the river. When it reaches the bottom, reel it up to about 12 to 18 inches off the bottom. I use the depth finder to see how deep the river is as I drift. I bounce the bait off the bottom, but keep it less than two feet off the bottom. This has worked very good for me and my son. He has caught many cats, he just can't leave the line alone, he jigs it constantly. I, on the other hand, let it settle on and only move it every couple of minutes, if that.

Hope this helps.

7. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    lakes,16' flatjon, foottroller on front, 25 tiller, i dont have any driftsocks, i dont think any place round here sells them, have to hit basspro up

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ok, I lake drift so I'll tell our method to the madness,LOL. This is all with the trolling motor on the bow , and drifting straight. Some folks, usually toons, will do this sideways.

No wind: Use the trolling motor, a copilot is a major help. A slide speed control is way better than the ones with numbers only. Sometimes your drift speed needs to be a little less than #1 or more, etc. Most of our drift speeds are between .5mph to 1.5mph, speed can make a difference. Usually a slow speed during winter months.

Little wind: We pick a drift but the wind has to be at our backs. We just float with the direction of the wind, if the boat does turn a little just bump the trolling motor and straighten it out. If did keep turning, I suppose you could put out a small drift sock and keep it close to the stern as possible, if it slows you down to much you will have to keep the trolling motor on and get it to your wanted speed. You can also drift into the wind with the trolling motor on.

Higher winds: Pick a drift with the wind blowing from the stern, put out a drift sock. As mentioned, out farther slows you more. In some cases 2 socks are needed. If needed you will need to bump the trolling motor now and then but it will stay straight. I've even drifted straight into the wind with the trolling motor too, no sock.

We drift using Santee rigs. Depending on water depth the lines are out anywhere from 80' to 250' behind the boat, usually run 6 of them.

You can search in the SC section also if you want. Most of use here drift a lot and yes...we get them during the day just fine ; )

But in a nut-shell, you need that drift sock..I hope this helped ya some.

-Jim-

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    We have a 17' flat bottom skiff. First thing we do is pull up the motor and put in the trolling motor. All you really have to do is think about it turning and it will start turning, so we just bump the trolling motor, maybe about 1 second at mid speed, and it will straighten out. Of course with plenty of wind you don't have to worry about straightening it out too much.

Certain places we like to stay near docks so we'll use the trolling motor to push or pull a little bit at a time to keep us at the right place, of course this depends on how the wind is blowing. We use a drift sock as well when the winds get too fast. Never been out when we were going too fast with the drift sock. If we get that fast we probably wouldn't want to be on the water in that boat anyway.

We've never tried drifting out the back. That would be kind of crowded, plus that cuts the number of rods you can use without tangling by about half. If I were by myself that's what I would do though.

I may try to rig up a trolling motor to put midway of the boat for when the wind isn't blowing. I've thought about that for a while now but I've never seen or heard of anybody doing that.