Drifting for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by janton311, Jun 23, 2006.

1. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have some questions. I just bought a small boat and want to try drifting for catfish, but I'm totally ignorant as to how to do this. I've never fished for catfish out of a boat.. I was curious about what rig to use? Live bait or cut? how far off the bottom do you fish? and how do you keep it there in changing water depths?? your help would be much appreciated...

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jason, just about every answer to your questions or every answer to future questions about drifting can be found under the Blue Catfishing forum. Just look under drift fishing for blues. Also the same tactics that are used for blues are also effective on channels and on rare occassion for flats. Vern

3. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    thanks I'll check that out

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I got a rig I like for drift fishing that you might try. it starts like a carolina rig with one major change the lead instead of using a egg sinker I get some parachute cord pull out all of the stuffing heat up on end and seal it off then add BB's to get the amount of weight I want usually 1/2-1.0 oz and then seal the other end. take a snap swivel and attach the snap to the cord and your done then rig this like a carolina rig. It cuts down on snags and is cheaper than buying the Lindy snagless weights. you might also try adding a small bobber between halfway between the barrel swivel hook just big enough to hold your bait off of the bottom(small bream cork) this will also help with snags. just a couple of ideas you may already know but I hope this helps you are someone reading this.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Jason And welcome aboard. I drift fish for catfish often and its a blast. this is how I do it . First I mostly use cut bait, Bluegill or crappie filets I scale the fish and leave the skin on as it makes it easyer to stay on the hook I also use the heads of the bluegill and hook them through the eyes. I don't use the heads of the crappie as the mouths are larger and they tend to drag the bottom more.I like the bait to just bounce obove the bottom and this is how I rig the rods. I tie a swivel to the main line (#20 pound Berkly big game) then I make a leader about 12/14 in long from the same line and tie on a #3/4 Kahlie style hook make sure its sharp and atach it to the other end of the swivel. now just above the swivel attach a #1 or #2 split shot and this will keep your line on the bottom if the wind is blowing perty good sometimes ill use 2 or three split shots. I also sometimes also use drift socks to slow the boat down, I turn the boat sideways to the wind so as I can drift sideways. Cast your line out 20/30 yards and let it settel to yhe bottom and let the wind move the boat you can cover alot of area and the chance ao finding fish greatly improves. I will bait one rod with heads the other with filets to find out which bait they prefer that day and then switch to that bait. this is just sorta the baicis to start I do use different baits depending on the time of year and water temp.Like in the dog days of aug. I will use blood bait and so on. I also use sonar to locate fish and see bottom structure Sometimes I will use Two drift socks to slow the drift down as slower seems to always be better. And the larger Channels always seem to come on the bluegill heads or a large piece of cut bait(shad/Skipjack) I hope this sorta gives you some idea . Good luck and good fishing. J.D.Straka A,K.A. Bigcatman0816