Drifting for Catfish on Grand

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by snowman, Sep 20, 2006.

1. snowman

snowman New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Can anyone give me some good tips on where to drift, how to drift for some big cats on Grand.

2. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I will try to give you a little help, I mostly jug fish and have pretty well stayed down by the dam, fishing as deep as 90 feet. I have fished out of martin Landing, and I know the do a lot of fishing from there all the way up to Sailboat. Most of the guides will anchor right out in front of Martins, all the way out to patricia landing. I have seen the drifting there also. When I have done drifting, we use two drift socks, one on the front, one on the back. Need to be 2-3 mph at the most. Right now, the blue and some channels are as deep as 60 feet, but you can usually catch fish around 30 foot. The ideal thing is just like bass fishing, try to have the deep water close to where you are fishing. Good Luck. Hope this helps.

3. snowman

snowman New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thank you I'll go out and give it a shot, im taking a little time off of bass fishing next month untill next season wanted to go out and try and get me some cats.

4. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I went up to grand yesterday, and drift fished with a man that has a radio show there in Grove. We could not go out till 9, and had to quit at 2. We fished the area there by Martin Landing (Around Monkey Island). We tried several places, the depth we were looking for was the old 30 foot mark. We were starting about 34 feet going down to about 25. At 11 we caught our first fish, and from 11 -2 we caught 15, with 7 being between 2-5 pounds. We were using cut shat, cut in about 3/4 cuts. We had 6 rods out, with the weight on the bottom, the weight on a slip sinker, and whith the weight up the line about 18 inches. We caught fish on every way we had out. Lee said he believed that a man could drift any place on grand and catch some fish. I believe him from my experience with my Jugs. Hope this helps.

5. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Well congrats on the trip there juggin. Lee is on the raido here in grove about twice a day with his fishing report. I just wish he'd report more on catfishing and less on the crappie and bass. that and tell ya what the heck he is catching with as far as bait.