Drifting For Catfish at 13...

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Big Sam, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    After recieving word that baitboat had some fish located myself & Baitboat planned an attack for friday evening the 25th... It was his anniversary!!!:tounge_out::eek:oooh: He was not beat up looking when he arrived:tounge_out::smile2: My old friend preacher Mike was camped with his buisness partner on the top side......I was out assisting mike getting bait when Baitboat announced his arrival at the "stairs" by the locks.....I went to get him & he gave Mike a ride back to his camp so Mike could get his boat & join us below the dam.....(Johnny took the weekend off.....probably golfing)...we attacked drifting in the current with fresh skips and shad... & Bait boat had a "few" catalpa's for the cause also!!!!Mike did the same except he had a few noodles .....it was on in the heat!!!! Me and baitboat kept on dragging those big-baits around to no avail!!!! We had a few hits and missed a couple of fish....we thought the current was a tad faster than it had been & we were moving a little fast...until preacher Mike kept calling us with several reports of 10lbers being taken in his Boat!!! & he was within site of us the whole time!!!! Baitboat had came to the conclusion they were being taken near his secret spot!!! So we went & anchored in it!!! still no luck:tounge_out::eek:oooh::wink: Finally we gave up around midnight with Mike giving his last report of putting a "few" more in his boat!!! We went to load my boat & the water had dropped several feet off the ramp & it was covered with quick-sand:smile2::tounge_out: so
    Baitboat hooked my trailer to his 4 wheel drive & we barely put the trailer in the water & i winched the boat on it....Folks think twice before using the lower ramp 4 wheel drive is a must right now!!! Mike Locked through to avoid the mess since he was on top anyway.....we laughed half the night at least....Me and Baitboat caught ZERO_FISH!!!!!:tounge_out: But that was ok it was "another" story to remember for sure....Thanks for pulling me out BB....he has decided to start going with me & Johnny some glad to hear it BB!!! Looking forward to the next outing!!!:eek:oooh:

2. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    sam i had the same luck thursday, very few and they were small. I think the river just got right for fishing the current. I hope to go tomarrow. the way they do it , it will only be good for a few days then they will be no flow,which in my opinion is worse than too much.

3. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Well sat morn I put the war eagle in and caught 5-6 little cats my buddy and his wife caught a 15 lber I returned sat about 4 caught a 12.5 lber
    and 4 5lbers. took sun off But my buddy went and threw into the honeyhole 2 10s and 2 5s . Got a call this am the gates are closed
    so I guess I better get little boat ready for a trip. Spoonbill are jumping
    in the generator pool this morn. Might just have to go get a gunfight
    or 2. Big sam you know what kind of boat the man that spanked us had
    you guessed it F&F I talked to them sat eve they were unloading when
    I was coming out . Wonder how many they caught sat eve, would like to
    know. Any way It was fun fishing with Big SAM He's got one heck of a
    boat , and always keeping you laughing . Will go again soon.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't know what an F/F boat is, but it sure sounds like you all had an interesting trip. Congrats, and good luck in the future

5. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Saturday august 2nd mark it on the calender:wink: Baitboat & Johnny & myself headed out to 13...Me & Johnny met at 445am at the ramp & waited 30 minutes to launch due to someone rebuliding there outboard on the ramp!!:eek:oooh::smile2: Went to the lock to get shad before daylight...stopped to pick up BB at the stairs...they turned the floodgates off, water dropped 12ft & BB had to wade through quick-sand about knee deep to get in the boat!!! He lost his croc's several times deep in the murky goo:smile2: We re-named him "quickster" for the day....we got our bait (wore me out watching johnny throw the 8ft net getting 3 shad a whack) they had 2 geneators on best we could tell..so we started drifting & threw a few noodles out for fun..They hit the noodles quickly, then turned the water totally off!!! %$#@#@ can ya believe it???? all that rain from march to august & they run the flood gates till there out of water & wont generate:eek:oooh: we enede up with a nice mess of eaters..biggest was around 8lb blue..we went home at 10am due to no water running....

6. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    That was mortar that I walked through for sure . Did not get to run rc
    boat sat eve to much water Went sun morn caught 10 mostly on jugs
    Think I caught 3 using big cork. Largest about 7lbs. caught a bunch of skips with the 202 sun morn .:smile2:

7. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    we are planning a trip to pendleton # 2 on the 22nd and called the corp of engineers at dam #2 and said they was working on dam # 6 and the water will be up and down ( and the flow) for awhile i sure hope we got some decent water at pendleton when we get there

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Whats the depth of the water there at the dam? I havent been up there in a boat and was wondering how much water was there and what I would need anchor wise. Might just drift it, I have drift socks to slow it down maybe. Mac

9. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    13 ft as a rulein the gates 15 to 17 out front Drifting has been good this week

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jim, a drift sock isn't likely to slow you down in that current, unless the top of the water is moving faster than the water a few feet down. Now, when the wind is blowing your boat around, a drift sock will work great.

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Thanks Jerry, I wasnt sure about using a drift sock in a current situation, Used them for windy situations before and they work great. Thanks for the info. Mac

12. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Well, Jennie and I just got in from fishing around the bend from lock 13, Went out of clear creek and then up river, was going to go down river to my fav spots but they were dredging down there, so up we go, I caught a couple small blues, Jennie caught a couple small blues, figured we was in a nest of small ones so back up clear creek we went, anchored it across from the pipe that folks get there shad from, I caught one channel and Jennie caught one blue, Biggest fish of the night was 4 lbs. The Shad was thick in there, so we played around awhile catching shad, Jennie got to captain the boat and she had a blast IN THE DARK :crazy:, anyways we took the fresh shad and headed back out, Ended up with a couple more blues. called it a night. The new vehicle pulled and handled the boat with ease, and didnt take half a tank to do it, Good by Truck. !!!!! :wink: I figure we will get to fish more often now. Its 2 am time for my shower, night ya'll. Mac

13. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Drifting has been real slow lately Caught 5 dinks saterday and one dink sun. I'm taking a few days off now to reload and think of my next move.

14. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Get out of that "netters" paradise..........move down my way !!!:tounge_out::smile2::wink:

15. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    It' been slow lately Might have to go to oklahoma:smile2:

16. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :wink:
    Your too TIGHT to get an ok license:smile2::tounge_out::wink: We been trying to get ya to go for 2yrs now..:wink:

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Regan, Now's the perfect time to take that RC boat to Kerr. I was there yesterday and a guy was fishing the wall and catching some blues straight down river from the wall. He hooks onto a big one and I yelled at him and asked him if he had a fish because he looked like he was hung. He yelled back and said yeah and his eyes were pretty wide. He had sandles on and all of a sudden he started sliding down the wall, I yelled at him if he needed some help and headed that way at the same time. He yelled back HURRY:smile2:. I took off around to where he was and before I got there the fish topped the water way down river and broke his line. He slammed down backwards on the wall but was O.K. He and my uncle Lonnie seen the fish and they both said it was big. I'd bet you could break 50 lbs. over there right now with the boat.

18. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    There is MONSTERS at that dam........snap out of it BB!!!!!:tounge_out: That reminds me last week i saw a guy snap his 13fter...except he rared back and let that 5oz sinker fly:cool2:eek:nly problem was the line was wrapped arpund the eye!!!!:tounge_out:not good:sad2: he threw his beer down in anger, cussed his old-lady & left:tounge_out:

19. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    same thing happened down at 13 one day, Skinny feller was snagging and he hung into a goodun, his rod bowed and he started headin to the water, I grabbed him by his belt and dragged him back up the bank, He was so appreciative he tried to give me that big spoonbill. I thanked him but told him no thanks and he better tie off a rope if he was gonna be snaggin down there. :smile2:

20. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Wow I 'm working this weekend sounds like it's on in ok Still mulling over
    the new boat itch. Get yours back yet:confused2: