Drifting for Bluecats

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat junkie, Jun 28, 2007.

1. bluecat junkie

bluecat junkie New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am wanting to do some drifting for bluecats. I have never tried this before so I am looking for advice. What is the best setup for this? Also, do you drift around dikes or in the channel? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. shopteacher

shopteacher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I go on a controlled drift I use my trolling motor to slow the boat in the current. This also lets me control my bait location.
    I start with the flats just bumping or dragging the weight on the bottom. Lifting the weight slowly only about 6"-12" at a time. Release more line when you hit the hole.

Continue through the hole and the back side of the hole. Most of the time the active cats will be at the start of the hole but sometimes they lay back a little. If I am at a wing dam usually I will go back up against the wing dam and slowly move parallel to the wing dam. Breaks in the dam are also a great place to look. Anywhere faster current meets slower current.

I have tried to use more than one rod but when you get a hit it is usually a very agressive one. My buddy could not get a rod out of the rod holder because the fish was pulling so hard. That one got away... he must have been the size of a Volkeswagon!