Drifting for big catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bullseye017, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going on a little catfishing trip in a couple days and planning on using juglines and shore lines. during the days when the fishing is slow I would also like to do some drifting for catfish. If anyone has any tips or a special rig that works better than others it would be well appreciated

2. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bull,

I would caroline rig ---------weigh-----swivel---------perch... so the perch is suspended about 8 inch from the bottom... i always do it this way and have had awesome luck... good luck...

3. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the drop shot method. One hook if it's a snaggy lake, or I use two hooks about 18" apart if it's a pretty clear drift. A large enough sinker on the bottom to keep the bait down.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The rig I like to use the most when drift fishing is a crolina rig with a couple of twist. I like to use a pencil shaped weight are flexable weight the don't get snagged as often and on my leader I like to add a small bobber just big enough to keep the bait off of the bottom this also decreases snags IMO. Flexable weight ideas can be found in the library they are simple to make and cheaper than Lindys snagless weights. A good barrel sinker in a must to keep your line from getting twisted also. Another rig is wit a three way swivel and a short light line leader for you weight so it breaks off easy if you do get snagged. I hope these help you some and good luck.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    One rig I've used is to use a bell weight attached with a light line, then tied to a small swivel...like the Pro Lines and run the swivel through the main line like a carolina rigging.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Jerry,

Check out the Flecxible Weight thread in the Terminal Tackle forum.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  8. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I use the same method as Laidbck111 - plus I also use live gills with no weight in the late evening and early morning.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I run the same rig as Benji, and it has caught hundreds for me and thousands for others.

10. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You wouldnt happen to have a link to a sight that may have these flexible weights you are talking about, would ya? I am very curious and do not know where to find there bad boys.

thanks,

ryan

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    the flexible weights can be made by hand... just take some parachute cord and stick some small bb's or split shot in and tie off both ends... one to a swivel...

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Also, you can try drift fishing with slip bobbers, I have had great success so far using this technique.