Drifting float

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by KnotGillty, Mar 27, 2009.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I like to drift in my boat across vast expanses of lake bottom. I also like to use a float about 5 or 6 inches up from the hook to float the bait just above the weight & above bottom. In my neck of the woods (Northern California), I have a really hard time finding the elongated floats with a slit along the length where you insert your line. I end up using slip floats which is OK, except that I have to tie on bobber stops above & below the float to keep it in place above the hook.

I'm thinking of using a razor, or super sharp filet knife, to cut a slot along the length (from top to bottom) on my foam cigar floats. Has anyone ever tried this? Or does everyone just buy them premade with the line slot already incorporated into the float?

Any advise or input is appreciated.

Also, can someone point me in the direction of some online shops that sell these style of floats for drift fishing.

Thanks

2. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    . . . . . or do you guys peg the float to the line? If so, what do you use.

Thanks

3. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    they make floats that already have a premade slit in them... i think they are called rainbow floats but im not sure....but normally i just use a peg float...

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use the peg type foam crappie floats, but I have cut a slit in some of them and it works pretty good.

5. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Are you actually pegging the ends of a slip float with something thin, like a portion of toothpick? Or are you using the kind of float that has little metal clips on each end which are placed over the line to keep it in place?

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I peg mine with glass rattles

7. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the slip bobber type, put a bead on the line, and then tie a knot in the line on each end of it to keep it in place. Some times I use the crappie style float with the wire springs in them . take the wire and spring out of them, keep the 2- end pieces run your leader line through it with a bead on each end , next tie a knot at each end as close to the beads as you can get them . This float will stay in place and can not come off.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back in the stone age, when I was just a teenybopper, I used to carve on balsa wood quite a bit, making popping bugs for bream and bass; and cutting a slit for the hook was simple and easy. I probably made the occasional float, but not often. Just be sure to put on a good waterproof coat of enamel paint, though. If you'd rather buy your floats, try Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, or Catfish Connection; they all have a wide selection.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the crappie style floats with the plastic pegs in each or one end. With the peg or pegs removed I can get a pretied leader through the float and then peg the float where I want it.
    A hacksaw blade would probably work quite well to cut a slit in a foam float.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  11. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
  12. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo