Drifting Blood

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by Nate4097, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Nate4097

Nate4097 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I was wondering if anyone could give me a good recipie and any tips on drifting blood bait. I tried the store bought stuff w/ no bites, but they were hitting my cut bait. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    Personally Nate I don't care for blood unless all your after is eater channels. If you really want to know how here goes. get a half gallon of beef blood, and put it in a one gallon ice cream container. Get it from a butcher. I haven't tried to get it up here, but thats where i got it back home in Arkansas. Put it in the fridge for a week. Every other day scoop off the gunk that rises to the top. Then take it out,and cut it into 1 inch square chunks. Put these on cookie sheets make sure they are not touching. Sprinkle some salt all over them. Give them a day or two then flip, and re sprinkle. let sit a couple more days then freeze till ready to use. Use them on treble hooks. I haven't made this since I was a kid. So I may have forgot something. Let me know how this works for ya.

3. Nate4097

Nate4097 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've been pulling in 2-10 pounders drifting cut bait in some of the smaller lakes around here. Do ya think I have a better chance pulling in bigger fish w/ cut bait or blood?

4. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Nate
    First welcome to the BOC the greatest catfish site in the world. Now the beef blood thing, I have never used it mostly because of the inconvenience of the thing. I do use occasionally a prepared packaged blood bait available from Walmart. I have found it ok but not on a par with fresh liver, or shrimp. I find these type of baits ok for eating size channels, but for anything else I much prefer a live or cut bait from the area I am fishing. Luck

5. Nate4097

Nate4097 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thankyou all for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I feel lucky to have found this site.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I've heard if you're drifting blood bait it can produce some big cats. I've been trying to con my friends step-dad into showing me his "secret" recipe for blood bait.

If memory serves I was reading about a team of tournament catfish anglers from Nebraska that destroyed all of the other teams at some tournaments in the southern states using beef blood bait.

Could be worth a try.

SudDawg

7. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    welcome to the BOC nate. I hope you find this site an excellent resource for catfishing. I know I have. there is a place up in blair, ne that sells beef blood ready to go. I'll find out where. good luck :0a25::0a23:

8. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    The gas station on hwy 75 just north on the Platte has coagulated beef blood. Its comes in 5 containers with hooks, and sponges. just rig up with a snap swivel on the end of your line. I think it was 3 something for the 5. Plus if you use trebles you get to keep those.

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Is that the Shell gas station? The same one that has live bait?

SudDawg

10. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    Not sure what brand it is. I think it is a shell station though. Its at the light just north of the platte where you turn to get to la platte road, and hanson lakes. Yes it has the minnows, worms, and liver also. My buddy bought it there about a month ago. Cant remember where it was in that fridge they had it hid though.

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Thanks,
    I'm going to check it out.

SudDawg

12. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    Well shane hope you have better luck than my buddy. he got a few bumps on it, but no takers.

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I'll be trying it out probably at the Offutt Base lake probably sometime in the next couple weeks. I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks again

Suds

14. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    I was told this by an old catfisherman and I WILL SHARE IT WITH YALL! You get a 5 gal bucket of beef ,or chicken blood from processing plants and mix in 2 different buckets enough sugar until it begins to gel and pour it out on a sheet of plywood to let set and gel in the sun. After it is poured out pour more sugar on it till it is completely covered, let it set over night. the next day cut it up in bait size pieces and turn them over and recover with sugar completely, it takes a lot of sugar to do this but you will have enough bait to last for a while. the bait will be like firm jello that stays on the hook and gradually melts away much like a candy would! You could cut the procedure down if you wish with less blood for a smaller batch. Once this process is over place in a freezer until you are ready to use, the night before remove and place in fridge to thaw, but you might want to get the little moma's permission first:wink:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard of a similar recipe, but using brown sugar.

16. huskermike

huskermike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Wow! You guys have strange (to me at least!) ways of curing blood. I've only seen one way to do it, and it's worked outstandingly well for me...when the conditions are right. You have to have a very very light breeze and a lake with very few snags on the bottom for drifting blood to work correctly. Anyways...here's my method.

Have a local butcher shop catch a five gallon bucket of beef blood for you when they slaughter a cow. Big shops won't do this for legal reasons, but most small town shops still will. After picking up your blood let it sit some place cool for 24 hours...not in the sun!! Tip the bucket to pour off the liquid portion of the blood...but do this gently! You will be left with about a foot high, extremely fragile, cake of blood the diameter of the bucket. Leave this cake in the bottom of the bucket for now, and use a long sharp knife (I use an old fillet knife) to cut the blood into strips about the size of a Red Bull can. (I guess that would be about 1.5x5" or so...) Now put those strips into a smaller, ice cream sized, bucket. If you have any of the liquid blood left over feel free to poor this over the top. At this point some people like to add garlic, anise, salt, whatever. Me, personally, I've never seen any difference in results. Now if you aren't going to use the blood immediately---freeze it! Rule number one in fishing blood is NEVER EVER let it get hot. The warmer it gets the harder it will be to keep it on the hook. Thaw it out before using it, but make sure it always stays chilled...on ice....in the garage fridge...whatever.

Now on to how to fish it. Tie a snap swivel with a 3/4-1oz sinker onto the end of your line. Before heading out make up about a dozen two foot long leaders out of heavy cord or heavy braided line with medium sized treble hooks. (I'll explain why the heavy cord later). Also make up a few bait needles. I usually make mine out of about a foot of fine wire, with a very very small hook bent into one end. To bait the rig, I highly suggest that you wear rubber gloves. I've seen some nasty infections result from the beef blood getting into cuts on hands. Anyways, gently cradle one of the blood strips and run the bait needle lengthwise through the strip. Use the small hook at the end of the needle to pull the loop of one of the leaders you made up earlier through the blood. This takes some patience, but when done right your line will go lengthwise through the strip and the treble hook will be buried in the bottom of the strip. If you made your strips long enough you should have quite a bit of excess line sticking out the top, and to ensure that the blood stays on as well as it can it is best to tie a half-hitch around the top end of the blood strip. Your leader, now baited, can be clipped to the snap swivel. Now for Rule Two of blood fishing....DO NOT TRY TO CAST IT! The blood is far to fragile for that....set it gently over the side of the boat into the water and let out line till you have ~100 feet out. Now drift slowly and wait. I usually run 4 rods off a 20' boat but you can run more or less as you see fit.

Tips: Use a more limber rod than you normally would for catfishing. For drifting I like a slow action trolling rod. Stiff rods will pop your blood right off the hook when they briefly snag up. Also, use drift socks if the wind is blowing hard enough that it is hard to keep the blood on your hooks.

As for results, when the conditions are right (slight breeze, late summer, good lakes) I have never seen a more effective way to catch channel cats. Contrary to what the previous poster said, I usually see averages of 6 pounds with the biggest on blood I've seen a 17lb channel. My personal best night with blood was a 22 fish stringer that averaged 8lbs from Lewis and Clark last fall. Keep your eye out for a picture in the Omaha World Herald of my cousins Kalee and Brittany who caught an 11 fish 78lb stringer drifting blood this summer! Anyways, good luck. Give it a try and fight through the pain in the @$$ that all the preparation is and you will probably see some very pleasant results. If you have any questions shoot me a message! Happy fishing!

17. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Thanks huskermike. Rep to you my friend. That was great info

SudDawg

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Outstanding reply Michael!!! Thank You Sir. J.D.:big_smile:

19. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Dang I Almost Forgot. A Big Ol Iowa Welcome to the BOC Michael.J.D.:wink:

20. fishhunter44

fishhunter44 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Drifting blood DOES produce big channels. If you're only catching eaters, that's because you're in a spot where only the eaters are. You may have to fish that area out of the eaters and hope a big one happens by, or try a place adjacent to that one. We fish Elwood with blood and trust me, there are some line breakers in there. Our first fish last Sat night was a 15 pounder, and we lost 3 others.