Drifting and Driftsocks

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ncfowler, Sep 10, 2006.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I don't know how many of drift fish, I mainly drift fish, nothing like drifting across the lake along the shoreline early in the morning. When i first stated to fish this way I had problems with bow of the boat being pushed foward,I like to fish with the boat drifting sideways to give more area to fish from. For the last few years I have been using a drift sock(sea anchor) on the bow to keeping it from drifting around . it also keeps the drift from being too fast if the wind is kicking up I now use one for the bow and stern to help matain a controll drift I use the trollong motor to keep me in the position or depth line I'm in. If us never used a drift sock ( a 5gal bucket on a line works well to) try it you may find that it is useful. like I said there is nothing like a slow drift over a deep hole waiting for the rod to bow over with that sure sign of a big cat, or seeing some wildlife along the shore.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We started drift fishing this summer, mostly used slip bobbers and caught a ton of nice fish doing it. We use one on the front and one on the back and it works awesome, I use the Lindy brand, we have a 14ft boat and we have two drift socks in the 36' size.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone care to explain the concept for me? Is drift fishing for lakes only?:confused2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I have only done it in Lakes but you can do it in Rivers. In the lakes the wind just blows you slowly across a particular area. The trick to it is determining the correct direction you need to drift to go over some good structure, Channel Edges, Humps, etc. There is a ton of info about it here on the BOC, do a search like "Drift Fishing" or "Drifting".

5. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    when i lived in Pa. I use to drift the delaware river alot for cats finding holes and back washes often produce some good results, But since I moved to NC. I fish mostly lakes and found out that drifting is more productive. Since i use a aluminium boat it is lighter than fiberglass and tends to blow around little easier and started to use a drift sock to control the movement of my rig. and slow down the drift on a windy day.

6. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never tried drifting, but a buddy of mine and I are going to give it a try.I'm going to try using a slip bobber to get to the depth that I want. What do you think Im I going at this the right way???

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    The drifting of old has been modified...

When I drift i do it the old conventional way..we drift over river channel edges, humps and structure...

Jeff, you being from NC some of the lakes we drift our Jordan, Harris, falls and gaston. (zakk's lake)..drifting lets you cover allot of area while targeting the actively feeding fish....

We use three way rigs with about a 1 ounce bank sinker and a float on our hook side. We use a lighter pound test line on the sinker leader so if it gets hung up it will break off easy...when we are drifting 6-7 rods on one side of the boat a snag can really create quite a tangle.

However, if you watch the newer method of drifting they use one or two rods and use the tolling motor to create their drift...I read in a couple of magazines and watched a bill dance episode where they were fishing for cats and were catching monster cats in about 80' of water..their presentation was more of a vertical jigging than a drifting. I have tried this method but my boat is not set up for that kind of drifting

Beside slowing your boat for a productive drift, the drift sock can also prevent the back of the boat from swinging back and forth when your anchored in a heavy current....just drop it off the back and tie it to a cleat...the current will open the sock and keep the boat from swinging back and forth.

Hope this helps good luck!!

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    one more trick that i havent heard anyone mention. when drifting side ways even with drift socks out in the front and back you can still play with the power trim on your big motor to help even out your drift. trim down when the back is coming around or trim up when the front is coming around. might not make since to you until you get 6-7 rods out. it will help keep your line seperated evenly. this will also help out if you dont have drift socks.

9. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    That's a good point. Also, and I know this sounds a little weird, turn your steering wheel to counter the direction your boat may want to swing even if the motor isn't running. It will usually turn the boat in the direction you want to drift. Making small course directions this way will insure an even drift.