Driftin' on the "Blunt"

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill in SC, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Having ZERO drifting experience, except when fishin' with others with various boat designs, I had no idea how the "Blunt" would react with a sock out. With the wide flat bottom on my boat, and the enclosure with the tarp top acting like a sail, I didn't know if it would spin in a 360 or otherwise drift erratically. I rushed around last week getting my trolling motor bolted on so I could control the trajectory of the drift if needed. The first night out, lake Moultrie was pretty rough, with a stiff wind. The boat, with the sock out, drifted VERY WELL. We drifted for hours and never got a line tangled. The boat never swayed more than about 30 degrees either way, and never even came close to needing the trolling motor which I had no battery for anyhow! :big_smile: I'm excited about this new angle of attack for lake fishin'! We have a 600 acre DNR managed lake here in my home town just a few miles from the house. It is Lake Paul Wallace. There are PLENTY of big blues in there, and I hope to start driftin' it this week. I hope to be able to report some success stories pretty soon! I'll have to leave the trolling motor on the boat as my 200 hp Black Max is 190 hp more than the 9.9 motor restriction for the lake! :wink: BTW: I am using a 10 foot Easterlin sock, and it seems just the perfect size for my boat. It kept the drift under 1 mph the whole drift, even in the heavy wind/chop on the Santee Thursday night.

Bill in SC

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Bill glad you know now, you can drift fish the blunt :wink:

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Bill,
    Where did you put the sock-did you drift with it out the back?

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yessir, right out the back. We tied a short piece of rope to the eyes on each side of the rear of the boat where you would tie a ski rope, and attached the sock to that. Initially, I was wondering if we would have to put a couple of knots on that rope in the center to keep the sock from sliding back and forth on it. However, it worked perfectly without having to do that. I was pleased that something went right for a change.

Bill in SC

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Bill drifting is the BOMB !! That's my most favorite way to fish. you can cover alot of lake area and at times the action is non stop,Welcome aboard the Drift Train Brother,J.D.

6. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Be carefull drifting out the back in ruff waters. Its like anchoring backwards in the river. I done lost one boat on count of this mistake:wink:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hmmm. Driftin' out of the back has the bow of the boat headed downwind. In other words, we are drifting forward, not backward. I can see how drifting backward would be dangerous. We had no issues in fairly rough water at the Santee. Not a drop of water came over the back. IF it gets that rough, I'm outa there! I do have a self bailing deck so when I do take on a little water, I pull the plug and let it out. I do appreciate the warning though!

Bill in SC

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  8. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i knew the blunt was going to be a drifting machine!:wink: now get ready for those winter blues:big_smile:

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill will you teach me how to do this drifting thing you are talking about.:wink:

10. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Umm, I really hate to hi jack another one of Bill's threads, but I don't know the story behind calling his boat "The Blunt" I would like to know.

Around here, Im real familliar with what a blunt is, it's usually something real good wrapped in a..... Well lets say a dark skinned enclosure.

So whats the deal? I MUST know.....

11. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Bill, I have a slip knot on my drift sock and put it around the cowling on the engine. I drift the upper lake and can steer around most of the stumps if I see them in time. I have gotten the sock hung on a stump and so far I have not pulled the cowling off. I drift out the back of the boat and I have not had any problems with water coming in even in rough water. I seem to have more steering control that way with it on the cowling!

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, the"Blunt" is is a kinda odd lookin' "snub nosed" boat, AKA the "Big Red Blunt". If you read the "other" into it, I can dig it!! :wink:

BB in SC