driftin for blues

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by shifty, Aug 23, 2008.

1. shifty

shifty New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Can anyone tell me how to do it? haha

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    do a search for drift fishing and you will find all the info you will ever need.. haha :wink:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the boc this site is full of good info and great people.

There is a great deal of info on this site already posted about drifting. i would bet there is an article about your water body and drifting. Good luck

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    there are alot of ways to drift fish i reckon where do you fish river or lake what kind of boat is it

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I can tell you how I drift fish. It might not be the "right" way but catfish is a big part of my diet and I have not lost any weight lately.:smile2:
    I like to use a fairly light rod (by catfishing standards). Usually a 7 foot heavy action bass rod or innshore type rod. Find an area that has good catfish structure and drop your bait to the bottom. Leave your reel disengaged and your thumb on the spool. This way you can let off line easily to maintain contact. If there is enough current present just let the river do the work. Use enough weight to keep your line somewhat vertical and bump the bottom as you go. I like to lift my bait off the bottom a couple of feet every 30 seconds or so. If there is not enough current or wind to keep you moving then use your trolling motor to ease along.
    Drifting is 95% of my fishing for catfish. I love it!

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Ryan!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ryan Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. :0a23::0a25::0a25:

8. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    When we drift in the rivers we try and keep boat floating a little slower than the current so your hook is a little downstream from your boat but sometimes we vertical drift as well. You use enough weight to feel bottom but no too heavy where when you lift it it won't move farther downstream. If your hook is downstream of boat you can pull a lot of hangs loose before you drift over them and end up breaking off. I would start with 3 way swivel (or even 2 way with weight tied to same line as your mainline. You then have a leader with your hook or hooks on it. I like to use circle hooks when I fish but Kahles are hard to beat as well. It has been good to me here the last couple days. On Thursday we ended up with 6 fish with couple in teens, one in mid 40's and then a new PB for me a nice 73# blue. We drifted all day again yesterday and caught 5 fish but had one in teens, a 46# and 60#. If you fish for smaller fish with smaller baits you will definitely catch some good numbers of fish as well.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Depends..
    Are you fishing a lake?
    Or a river with light current?
    Or a river with plenty of current?
    I fish all the above. But like to fish current and use the trolling motor to control the drift. Been fishing this way for a lot of years. Got my first trolling motor I think it was 1975 and the drift was on.
    Give us more info on how you fish? And what kind of water? Theres a lot of ways to drift fish.
    That is like asking what Kind of weather is outside. Depends on where your at. The more info you post, The better answer you can get.
    Pete

10. shifty

shifty New Member

State:
    tennessee
    fishin tims ford lake, been using bluegills for bait cuz ive a had a hard time gettin big shad. not a whole lotta current. the boat is a whaler and we got a trollin motor. my rod is a 7 ft mh, and i got a abu 6500 reel spooled with 80 lb braid, i use a 20 lb mono leader, and a 3/0 kahle hooked to a two way swivel, with a 1 0z flat sinker above it. i got my rod setup for flathead fishin from the bank.

11. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    The best drifting I have found is in a little bit of wind in 10 to 20ft of water in the evening up to midnight. I usually go out around 5 or 6 and catch bluegills(the bigger the better) and keep the in the live well. I usually fish with the heads. If there is no wind I use the trolling motor. I have had more sucess in these depths than 50 and 60ft of water. I have yet to catch any big fish 40lb and up but I have caught them in the 20lb and 30lb range which is a decent fish. I am still waiting for a 50 or 60lb.
    Hope this helps.