Driftfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mississippi man, May 6, 2007.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I have always been a tightliner. I am curious if any of you driftfish, and how do you do it in a lake, or a river? I am not sure how to rig. How do you move the boat, just float downstream or do you troll like striper fishing? Can you do it from the bank? Do you jig the bait or let it float? Is this method effective all the time, certain seasons? I have never done it before and would like to give it a try?

2. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Check out the library a lot of great stuff for what you need is found there.

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I grew up thinking tightlining was the the best R&R tecnique for catfish. I fished with a guide at Truman Lake two years ago and I'm totally sold on controlled drift fishing. Tightlining produced fish weighing 1-5 lbs. for me. So far, Drifting has out-produced Tightlining in size and numbers. I regularly average fish from 5-18 lbs. (bluecat). I fish from a boat, use a drift sock and let the wind and the fish do the rest!:wink: The rig I use is: 30# Dacron mainline tied to a 3/0 barrel swivel with a 20-30" 30# mono leader that has an 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle snelled to it. It has a 1 1/2" slotted Bett's float 6" from the hook and homemade snake weight attached to the mainline side of the swivel. Send me a PM if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer what I can.:big_smile:

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I mostly likely use a slip float rig for Drift Fishing.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Use the trolling motor to slow the drift down in a river or the lakes here on the Tn river.
    Works great. But then again I only use one rod also.
    Pete

6. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    How deep of water do you do this in? In our river the water is 8-15ft deep, I have thought about just letting the current take me downstream thru some of the longer deep stretches (line along a rock bank), but I was wondering if it would be to shallow of water for this to work?

Any depth ideas?

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I like to use enough weight to get to the bottom so I can feel it ticking as I drift along in the lakes I fish. I dont want to be dredging lake bottom just ticking across it so I dont hang up as often.

8. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I fish the middle mississippi at 30-40 feet the current is very fast right now and I am too chicken to get in it or rather I know my limitations.