Driftfishing setup

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat junkie, Jul 8, 2007.

1. bluecat junkie

bluecat junkie New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was wondering what kind of setup people use for drift fishing for bluecats. Do you use a 3 way swivel or a standard slip rig? Also, how far out do you cast before you start the drift? I really want to try drifting, but I still have alot of questions before I try it. Any help from you veterans would be greatly appreciated. If someone could post a picture of the best rig that would be great also. Thanks for the help.

Scott

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Get into the BOC Libarary I'm sure you'll find what your looking for in there.Lots of great information in there.Check it out.Other than that I can't help you.Never tried drifting as of yet anyway.Good Luck on your search. And WELCOME to the BOC i f haven't allready told you that. Good to see another Member from Mo.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I join MMR in welcoming you and yes it's wonderful to see another Missouri Resident join the BOC!!:big_smile:

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I've only drifted once when we went to Kentucky Lake and went out with a guide. The way he showed us to do it was to just tie your bait line onto your main line and then have a drop line with your weight on it. Basically like having a 3-way swivel without the swivel, he went with a weight that had a swivel attached to the top. We used leeches topped with a piece of shrimp, the way the guide explained it to us was that the fish are attracted to the smell of the shrimp but when they see it they want to eat the leech. Only time I ever used leeches for bait, but we did really good...caught about 20 eating size cats in about 4 hours between the 3 of us. Fished 3 different spots and did the same thing in all 3. We didn't cast at all, just dropped our bait straight down from the side of the boat and bounced it off the bottom lifting the weight off the bottom about 6 inches.

|
    |
    |
    -------? (hook)
    |
    |
    |
    |
    0 (weight)

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Are you drifting in the river or drifting in a lake? Two totally different things...

6. Fishy G

Fishy G New Member

State:
    Raytown, Missouri
    I love to drift the lakes. This weekend I drifted Saturday morning and caught several blues and channels the largest was 12 pounds. As Mr. T replied there is a total different way to set up for lakes versus rivers.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Another welcome to the BOC from Mo. Scott.

8. bluecat junkie

bluecat junkie New Member

State:
    missouri
    I forgot to mention that I am wanting to drift the river. Ever since I watched Bill Dance doing it I wanted to give it a try. He never showed the rig he was using though.

9. bobbabouy

bobbabouy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never tried to drift fish a river, but have done it alot in lakes with muddy bottoms with excellent results. Seems like a river (around here anyway) you would constantly be getting hung up on rocks, logs, etc.

I would be curious how it is done.

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    when drifting in the river you have to keep ahold of your pole and continouisly bump the bottom with your sinker, letting out or reeling in line as the depth changes.

We used a rig that had a drop line for the sinker that was slightly longer than the hook leader.

I am not postive on how the swivels and beads worked out but that was the basic idea.

!
    ! !
    ! !
    ! !
    ! !
    ! J
    !
    O

11. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    All these lines and circles make me want to learn the morris code.

:)

CP