Drift Weights

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Cutbait101, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ive been looking for a material to make my own snake weights.i used fat shoe laces in the past but can not find those anymore.any help would be apperciated thanks

2. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    if you dont get any help try sending jimmyjonny a pm, i fish withem alot and he uses ones he makes(went through the whole quest trying to find materials and info) and they work great. he pullsem through places most people say you cant driftfish:wink:. i mainly striper fish so i dont use them, or id try to help. goodluck

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
  4. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you can also use the lanyards for sunglasses, I use them with #4 buckshot. Walmart sells the lanyards for under $2 and I can usually get 3 to 4 1oz weights from them.

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Mark I make mine out of shoe laces like wyliecat does, except I buy mine at dollar general stores. I can get 2 laces 54" long for .79 cents. That's 108" ! They are available in different widths so you have options as to what to put in them. I have some that I can stuff a 1/4oz pinch-on into without any difficulty. You may have to look around to find a store that carries what you need, but I know of no other way that's cheaper.

6. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    :smile2:Thanks to all i bought several pairs of laces from sports authority.i looked at dollar general in woodruff but no luck.i will keep checking other stores.thanks again

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    IF you use braided line as your leader, you should try the 3/16 in dia. lead wire coils being sold at some bait shops. This stuff works really well, its hollow and a 4in section weighs about 1 oz. Thread your braid leader through , pinch it on each end with pliers about 1/2 in from your swivel and your good to go. You can get around a dozen lengths from one 7 dollar roll. Its made by the same people that make Bullet Weights. Im not a big fan of using braid for leaders but when I do , I use these weights and they dont hang up very often at all

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    if you can get ahold of some parachute cord fill with buckshot it works great

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    If you are near Rock Hill, Catwaba Bait and Tackel sells the parachute cord and buckshot to make them.

10. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I have also heard of guys using utility rope. You can pull the core out and use the outer part which is same material as a parachute cord and you can find it walmart...good luck.

11. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    wouldnt bottom bouncers work?