Drift Socks

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by AwShucks, Dec 2, 2007.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have no idea as to which forum this topic should be posted in, so I tried this general one Guess if it is wrong, a moderator will move it.

At any rate, I am wanting to construct a few drift socks. I bought the material, and a new sewing machine just for this project (probably a dumb idea) and was ready to start my creation when I suddenly realized I have never even seen a drift sock. Sure, pictures from firms advertising the socks and one article in the B.O.C. Library... which unfortunately is not displayed in a manner to aid in my creation. So, my question is...do any of the brothers have pictures of a drift sock showing its construction, or is willing to take pictures of their drift sock. I believe I need to see how the straps are fastened to the large end, whether it is a cone shape or four triangular shapes sewn together.

I'm not much of a computer savvy individual, but Google does not return me anything I can use. Anyone out there willing to help?

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    AwShucks.... I admire your spirit to make one..... I've been "making Things" all of my life....... I've had to fix my "wifes" sewing machine or have it repaired many times......."need to get a commercial one"..... good luck to you...... I didn't even try, and went to the "big C" and ordered one....

Like you I wasn't quite sure of how to rig it, or where to tie it off to get the best drift for my boat..... from the bow, stern?, I quess that it all depends on how you want your boat to be positioned with the wind or current. The problem that I thought of..... was what do I do when a fish is on, and I'm by myself?. More than that When I'm in the ocean I need it to act in another way......I decided to attach the line to a PVC pole that is attached by clips to the front of the right side of the front of my boat. When I need it, I throw out the sock and pole at the back (same side of the boat) and then I play out another line to create a triangle so to speek to keep it away from the boat and can the boat in proper angle. I can always just tie it to a rope, but this "set-up" is great for the ocean.... and have yet tried it in a lake or on a river....... This dosen't answer your question..... But the MinnCota one that I have is hard to pull in even with its large hole in the end, and even with a strap to "unfill the sock"........

"Food for thought"

bayrunner ray

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Since I had this handy, I took a quick pic and some dimensions: Laid out flat on the ground, the front is 30" across, the end is 5.5", and is 30" long. When opened, the opening is 23" from top to bottom, while the back is 4". The length of the straps is 34". Hope that you have a machine strong enough to sew thru the webbing & the reinforced front & back!!! This is a Cabela's model, sized medium. It's really too small for my 16' boat; I just got it and used it once, and now I'm looking at getting one 2 sizes bigger.

Attached Files:

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey shuck's you can purchase them for around 13bucks at academy sports...3-4 sizes to choose from small(under 14ft boat) up to extra large over 20ft boat. Get the one's that are made of the "yellow rain coat material" they work real well.:big_smile:

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    AwShucks.... got out my ole "technical drawing book" and made a sketch for you..... I'll PM you a copy of what I put together....Practice on small paper first before cutting cloth....

here are pics of my sock, and the "floating arm" that I use to hold it away from the boat. It is attached to near the front of the boat, back some, and then the sock is clipped onto the pole when I need it. Will explain more if needed.

I quess that you can make "four piece of pie" and put it together like that rather than one big piece of canvas....

bayrunner ray

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    AwShucks.... here is a sketch.. small, but you can enlarge it?

bayrunner ray

7. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
  8. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i have several several one i use right now cabelas in there bargan cave has them on sale for 15 bucks on up, a drift sox is a cone shape with a small opening at the small end to allow the water to pass through, 18" dia x 24"long with a 4" opening at small end uses 4 connects points

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I use one to control the position of the boat while drifting. I have 4 small cleats spaced a foot apart on each side of my boat in the middle. That allows me to clip the sock rope to which ever point (different winds and currents use different points) allows my boat to drift sideways. That lets me set a wider spread . The cleats are also good places to tie anchors, stringers, bait buckets and if the water is cold, a nylon beer net....:big_smile:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My sincere thanks to all who responed to this thread. I have just completed my drift sock (guess ice storms do have a good purpose after all). I made it from a rip-stock material which is similar to nylon. I can provide detaliled instructions if any desire them.

My sock measures 38" in length, has a 28" diameter at the large end, and 4" at the small. I made four straps to fasten the sock to the boat and a long yellow one to trip the sock to retrieve it. Total expense was $18.00 for material and $5.00 for uv resistant thread. Here is a pic...didn't want to go out in the ice, so here is a dirty kitchen floor. LOL

Attached Files:

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Lawrence.... looks good on the floor.....now to put it to work......so where to you plan on attaching it to the boat, or do you have a "toon"?

Have I been calling that fabric the wrong stuff all these years.... isn't it called "rip-stop"?

bayrunner ray

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have cleats along the side of the boat, and I figure I can fasten it to one of them. My boat is almost 16' long with a low profile, so I shouldn't need much to hold it... I got a 35' piece of 3/8" nylon line I will fasten the sock to and will adjust it as necessary to get the drift I want. After I learn a little more about drift socks, I can make more permanent adjustments, bigger socks or even smaller socks. I got the experience now. LOL

13. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Sock only needs be few feet away from boat. More wind the deeper you can let it run just little. In 16 ft boat by myself I had put sock tie all way to front for sideways drift if two people had move it more to middle of boat. If water is choppy you can put sock on front and be head on to the wind. You have plenty of sock likely for as much wind as you would want to stay out in. Looks like nice job on sock. Enjoy:big_smile:

14. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    A poor mans drift sock can be made from 5 gal bucket with 1-2 in holes drilled all over it. We put one at each end of the boat to drift sideways. Shallow faster, deeper slower. Hey, I live in Arkansas.

15. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    just a couple of questions, what size for a 20 ft boat and also a 24 ft pontoon boat.

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Shucks Where is yer toes:wink: ?Just thought Id throw that at ya.You have a lill skill there buddy.Id had a finger sewed to it or something:smile2:Now when all these storms are done and it warms up let us know how well it works.

17. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good job! That certainly looks like it would work. I have 2 that I use - one is a medium size and the other is x-large. They come in extremely handy.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Cliff, my understanding is that it takes a thirty inch diameter sock for a 18' boat. If so, I just lucked into the appropriate diameter for my boat. LOL

19. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Hey Lawrence looks like you just found a new side job making them for your BOC bro's:cool2:

20. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, Lawrence - looks real good. Let us know how it works!!!