Drift Socks

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by weathermantrey, Feb 9, 2007.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I'm looking into buying 2 drift socks for my 24 pontoon. I'll be using them on the santee cooper lakes as well as my home waters. What size drift sock do you think i would need? I plan on deploying 2 socks at a time on each end of the boat. Would 2 30 inch socks do the trick, would 2 36 socks be overkill? Any info would be helpful, thanks.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You'll find that 2 driftsocks doesn't do much more than 1 driftsock. And, no I don't think 30 or 36" either is enough for a 24 ft pontoon.

For a boat that size, I'd buy the biggest I could find. You want to be able to move along slowly (less than 1 mph) even in a stiff breeze and that pontoon will catch a lot of wind.

There's a woman in the Santee-Cooper area that makes some really high quality drift socks -- you might want to check with her: http://www.carolina-girl.com/

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If your 'toon has a hard top, or you drift with a canvas top up, that's going to catch even more wind.

4. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I have a 30 ft. pontoon, with a hardtop. I use Cabela's drift sox. I believe they are 72 inches.. I feel they work great. Blue Hawg and I experimented with them last year, and in my opinion, get the biggest and best you can afford. fastfrank

5. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    So two 36 inch drift socks wouldn't be enough?

6. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    Will 1 drift sock keep me drifting side ways just as good as 2?

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You'd do better to drift with either the bow or stern into the wind.

You'll get too much rocking if you go sideways, which affects the action of your bait as it drags along the bottom. Plus you expose far more surface area to the wind, making it that much harder to keep your speed under control.

8. Cat Dracula

Cat Dracula New Member

State:
    Metarie, LA
    Hey Trey. I use 2 48 in. d socks on my 18 foot CC Cobia. I fish santee cooper and they will put the brakes on a big pontoon. They sell some locally made d socks at Blacks Camp in Cross, SC just of the south end of the diversion canal at the top of Lake Moultrie. If you are drifting you'll want to fish moultrie cuz marion is full of trees. marion is a flooded forest and is great fo still fishing. You can call me at 504-309-4998 if you'd like more info on Santee Cooper.:big_smile:

9. Cat Dracula

Cat Dracula New Member

State:
    Metarie, LA
    Oh yeah. I bought my 48 in. socks at Cabellas. They can be catalog ordered. They are top quality socks and will last you a lifetime if taken care of.

10. Cat Dracula

Cat Dracula New Member

State:
    Metarie, LA
    Hey again Trey. We drift the toons sideways when the wind isn't too bad. Joe Drose puts one of the back of each toon. When there is no wind, he pulls the toon with the trolling motor with the drift socks deployed to control the speed of the drift. I have hammered big blues in 6 ft. plus waves on moultrie with 2 socks out and dragging an anchor in the middle of the boat. It was rough but I still caught big blues.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Trey, pm Roundhill. I've fished with him on his 24' with the carolina girl drift socks that Mr. T mentioned. He uses 2 of the large ones (8'?) on the front, and 2 smaller ones as needed when the wind gets up. He drifts with the bow into the wind and it makes for a much more comfortable ride. The extra wind socks slow things way down, which is what you want to do, especially this time of year while the water is cold.

12. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Trey, me and Josh use the same kind, the carolina girl one, it worked well on my cc boat at santee. We only use one, but if the wind is really up we do move to fast. They are very well made. That drifting really works good at santee, I have only done it on the lower lake. Are yall still going in march? Oh yeah, we drift out of the side also

13. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    two 36" driftsocks on a 24 ft pontoon wouldn't even seem like you put any driftsocks out .. you want to slow the boat down in the wind and the biggest you can get would be best ... I have a 20 ft jon and I have 4 socks for mine ... two are 60" adjustable and two are 42" fixed with the small ends closed up by rivets to where they're only have about a 2" outlet or exhaust ... this amount of driftsock sometimes isn't enough for my 2070 to get the drift as slow as I like it.

14. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    trey i got my socs from esterlig in cross i use 10ft when gets 10mph i add a soc i put one on each tube if wind gets 15-20mph i add a 5ft to each side i try to keep my drift speed at .04-.06 the lady gets $120 for the 10ft and $70 for the 6ft you can use the 6ft to drift sideways but when gets up and it will you need to turn longways and the little soc want turn pontoon you can get by with one 10ft in the center between the logs untill the gets around 15mph then you need more soc i dont just use them at santee i use them everywhear i fish i hope this helps. ron howard

15. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    Thanks for the info, I guess i'll go with a 10 foot sock.

16. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    Brad, we're gonna be down there the 3rd week in March. Hoping it'll warm up good before then and maybe they'll be some big blues up shallow

17. kansas bluecatter

kansas bluecatter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Trey, I use a 10 sock that I bought from the lady with the phone number supplied by Mr. T. It is the best on the market. She also makes other sizes but to slow my 2025 Lund down in high wind it takes the 10 footer and sometimes I will drop another sock to slow me down even further. I only use a sock when I can't do a controlled drift. John

18. brent

brent New Member

State:
    texas
    down south we make drift chutes and drift sideways. the chute keeps the boat square and i can go .7mph in 20mph wind we can get out 10 poles and the rocking motion helps w/ our bait presentation the way i rig. funny how things are different in different areas.

19. brent

brent New Member

State:
    texas
    this is a picture on my old boat. this chute is 6x8'. it is shade material from lowes. there is a pipe full of sand on the bottom to weigh it down. then golf balls in the top corners to allow you to tie a rope to the material. then you tie off to your cleats. you would lower it in the water a few feet so its below your boat in the water. the mesh is fine it slows you down big time. 20mph and i can drift .7mph. it keeps your boat sraight when you are drifting.

Attached Files:

20. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    what do you do when it gets 30mph and what dose this chute look like if you dont mind the reson we turn longways the swells are pretty close togather it just makes a better ride i can fish 8poles longways and 12sideways