Drift Socks

Discussion in 'Boating' started by DRWIII, Jan 30, 2009.

1. DRWIII

DRWIII New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hoepfully someone can answer this pretty quick. I was planning on getting a drift sock, but not sure what size. I have a 22 foot Blue Wave, I have been told to get two small ones then another buddy said just get one big one. Does anyone have thoughts on this subject?

2. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    I have 2 36" for my 18',,,I like to run one off bow and 1 off the aft to keep boat pararell to the waves and have the whole side of boat fishable,,,other times I will just run one off the center line using a ski harness on the aft to keep the nose of the boat in a straight line with the waves. there should be a chart on cables or bass pro in the area of the drift socks recommending sock sizes for size of boats.,,,this work for me

3. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Douglas, it all depends on whether you plan on drifting out of the back of the boat or the side. If you drift from the side, I'd probably do what Bill suggested. If you drift out of the back of the boat, I'd probably go with a 48" sock. The best people I know of to answer this question are bruce edmunds and pop pop, who are both on the SC boards. They're both drifting monsters and they taught me to drift. IMHO, they're the best I know. HTH.

4. DRWIII

DRWIII New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I appreciate the input, thanks for the advice.

5. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you are gonna drift for big catfish, you will need 2 large ones. if you are drifting for sandbass and stripers, one will work.

6. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I've got 2 medium size Cabela's and a larger one that I keep in the boat. I also keep a supply of zip ties for when the wind is really strong. I can close up the end of the sock and it seems to help some. Then there are days when ya just have to drift faster.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    For a 22 ft boat, you'll probably need to drift either bow or stern into the wind -sideways puts way more surface area against the wind and it'll be hard to keep the boat moving at a useful speed.

A 10 ft diameter Easterlin drift sock will keep your boat under control in any wind you're brave enough to fish in... http://www.carolina-girl.com/ - Also available from BOC sponser Catfish Safari Tackle Shop.

For smaller boats, they have a 6 ft diameter sock, probably good for 18 ft and under.

8. DRWIII

DRWIII New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've researched the drift socks with everyones advice in mind, I've decided to get 1-65" & 2-36" and just get out on the water and try em both. I appreciate everyones input, it has been helpfull. Thanks everyone.